1 - 2 of 2 Posts

dimi_pat

The story goes that Aphrodite put a curse of the women living in Lemnos making them not want to be with their husbands anymore. Apphrodite believed that the women were not getting what they deserved. What ended up happening is that all of the men go to nearby Thrace to be with the women there. The women of Lemnos become so angry that they kill all of their husbands in one night. It is a tragic and sad story, one that teaches about gender and gender relationships in our society.

k_tsoukalas

I was wondering why target the women of Lemnos? Then I realized, Aphrodite was getting them back because they refused to worship her.

Have you ever wanted to read the Odyssey without reading the Odyssey?

If you're not a big reader like myself, this video is perfect! If you didn't know, the odyssey is one of the most important classical poems in Greece. It is a massive poem that reads like a book. It follows the story of Homer and his escapades throughout different areas of Greece after the Trojan War, specifically Ithaca. Let me know what you think of this summary.

In your opinion, what is the wildest Greek mythology story?

I know there are some pretty wild and crazy Greek mythology stories that involve incest, murder, and even worse. I'm super curious to see what everyone's favourite and most wild story is. If you are able to share links of the full story, please do. I know some of them can be very complicated and long so I don't want to make you spend forever explaining them in the threads LOL.

Aion is the Greek god of time

There are many Greek mythological gods that represent some of the most important concepts in humanity, most importantly: time. Aion is the Greek god of time in addition to Chronos. Most of them share this responsibility, but Chronos came first in the timeline of the Greek gods. He is a symbol of the long reign of the Roman Empire and has a female counterpart known as Aeternitas. I couldn't find much more information, but if someone knows more about him please let me know :)

Did you know that Chronos (Greek god of time) is the father of the Olympians?

Chronos who is the Greek god of time actually had children! And many as many Greek gods and goddesses do, he had many! He had six children who are known as the Olympians. Their names are Chiron, Zeus, Hera, Posiden, Hades, Hestia and Demeter. They are perhaps some of the most important figures in Greek mythology, which is why it shocks me that so few people know that they are all Chronos' children. Not surprisingling, there was a lot of drama and incest that occurred between these siblings. Let me know if you'd like for me to post more about them!

Roman mythical men?

Does roman mythology have any sort of "mythical men" similar to the spartoi?
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter