1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

According to ferry hopper, the following groups are eligible for a discount with most ferry companies. I’m not sure what the documentation process is for verifying these statuses, so if anyone has experience please let us know! 😊
  • Toddlers (-100%)
  • Children (-50%)
  • Permanent residents of islands (holders of Unique Islander Number)
  • Students of Greek Public Universities (-50%)
  • People with disabilities (-50%)

Reactions: Hash
My daughters are university students outside of Greece but they were eligible for the 50% discount too. I believe you have to register online and pay some nominal amount then use that as proof of your full time university student status.

Reactions: Hash and dimi_pat
My daughters are university students outside of Greece but they were eligible for the 50% discount too. I believe you have to register online and pay some nominal amount then use that as proof of your full time university student status.
That’s very helpful!! 😊 I assumed it was only available for Greek students

Reactions: Hash
This is interesting. I should check on this when I am riding the ferry to make sure there aren't any discounts available! Good tip.

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Itinerary for self-planned yacht trip through the Greek islands

I am working on planning a yacht trip through Greece. I live it because I am in total control of the itinerary and what goes on, unlike booking a cruise or something. There's enough of us in the group to make this a super affordable trip.

I am developing am itinerary - thought I'd run it by you:

1. Athens to Mykonos: Begin in the historic port of Athens and make your way to the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos. Dock at Agios Ioannis beach and take a stroll through Little Venice.
  2. Mykonos to Naxos: Naxos awaits, with its marble gateway to nowhere and beautiful beaches. Try the local kitron liqueur for a true taste of the island.
  3. Santorini: Sail to the iconic island of Santorini, where the sunset from Oia is second to none. Enjoy a swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and taste some of the best wines in Greece.
  4. Ios to Folegandros: Keep the vibes high in Ios known for its lively atmosphere, then find tranquility in Folegandros, where the untouched Mediterranean prevails.
  5. Return to Athens: Wrap up your adventure with a pitstop in Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. Its charm lies in its austere yet handsome neoclassical buildings and the stunning Aegean views.

What do you think? Anything to add or subtract? I have about 10 days.

yacht-greece.jpg

Tips for Traveling to Greece on a Budget

Traveling to Greece is a dream for many, conjuring images of stunning beaches, ancient ruins, and vibrant Mediterranean culture. However, experiencing the wonders Greece has to offer doesn’t have to break the bank. Let's face it - it can be expensive to get there - especially if you are traveling from outside of Europe and during peak season. Keeping these tips in mind, though, can help you cut costs.

1. Travel During the Off-Peak Season

One of the best ways to save money while traveling to Greece is by going during the off-peak season, which is typically from October to April. Not only will you benefit from lower prices in flights and accommodations, but you'll also escape the heavy tourist crowds, allowing for a more authentic experience of Greece's beauty and culture.

2. Opt for Lesser-Known Destinations

While Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini are must-visit destinations, Greece is filled with hidden gems that are often overlooked. Consider visiting the Peloponnese region, Meteora, or even the northern part of the country, like Thessaloniki and the Chalkidiki Peninsula. These areas offer breathtaking views, historical sites, and genuine interactions with local culture at a fraction of the cost.

3. Use Public Transportation

Greece’s public transportation system is both efficient and affordable. Ferries can take you between islands at a good rate, especially if you book in advance. On land, buses and trains connect major cities and regions. Utilizing these options instead of renting a car or taking flights can significantly reduce your travel costs.

4. Savor Local Eats

Another great way to save while indulging in the richness of Greek culture is through its cuisine. Avoid tourist traps and opt for where the locals eat. Tavernas and street food vendors offer delicious and authentic Greek food for much less than restaurants in high-traffic tourist areas. Don’t skip on trying the gyros, souvlaki, and the myriad of seafood options.

5. Stay in Budget Accommodations

Greece offers a wide array of budget-friendly accommodations, ranging from hostels to budget hotels and Airbnb listings. Booking in advance can secure you a better deal, especially if traveling during the peak season. Consider staying in a location slightly off the beaten path; you might discover a quaint neighborhood or a breathtaking beach that’s not swarmed by tourists.

Traveling to Greece on a budget is more than feasible with a bit of planning and some savvy travel hacks. By following these tips, you can immerse yourself in the rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality Greece is renowned for, all while keeping your expenses in check. Remember, the essence of travel is not in how much you spend, but in the experiences you gather and the memories you create.

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back