1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

What is the root of this city's beautiful name? I love it :) Greetings from Melbourne

thessaloniki.jpeg

It was named Thessalonike after the half sister of Alexander the Great, whose name means "Thessalian victory". Alexander's sister was in turn, named like that to commemorate one of hers father's victory.

Is Thessaloniki just as quiet as Athens in August?

I saw another user posting that people shouldn't visit Athens during August because all of the locals are away on vacation and a lot of the businesses are closed. Does this apply for Thessaloniki as well?

How long does it take to climb up to Meteora?

I'm planning on taking a day trip from Thessaloniki to Meteora but I'm scared I'm going to be exhausted for the drive back. How long does it take to walk up?

Meteora-720x478.jpg

Visiting Agios Dimitrios church in Thessaloniki

Last year I baptized my Godson in Agios Dimitrios church in Thessaloniki and the church was beautiful! I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for a church to get married or to baptize their children. Look how pretty the courtyard is:

agios-demetrios-church-thessaloniki-720x480.jpg

Church of Hosios David (Thessaloniki) has some of the best icons

Where can I find live music in Thessaloniki?

I love concerts, street musicians and live music in restaurants and bars, especially in Greece. There is nothing more beautiful than bouzouki and klarino. Are there any spots that you know of Thessaloniki?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter