1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

What is the root of this city's beautiful name? I love it :) Greetings from Melbourne

thessaloniki.jpeg

francescool

It was named Thessalonike after the half sister of Alexander the Great, whose name means "Thessalian victory". Alexander's sister was in turn, named like that to commemorate one of hers father's victory.

What do people like about Thessaloniki?

I love these videos so much because I get great insight into what locals actually like about different cities. In my opinion, there's so much to like about Thessaloniki. I really love how the city has so much culture, and you can see how the influence of different empires has impacted the cities architecture. Would you agree with some of what I said in the video? Or do you have a different perspective? Let me know!

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

Katerini is a great tourist town outside of Thessaloniki

Katerini is a lesser known beach and tourist town near Thessaloniki. There are some great restaurants right by the water that are very authentic and offer many different options like meze as well as home style Greek food. I’ve only visited once but I plan on going again when I visit Thessaloniki. Have any of you visited.

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

Fantastic exhibition happening at the Thessaloniki Museum of Byzantine Culture

This exhibition is titled "Philhellenisms, 1780-1860" and covers this crucial time period in Greek history during the Byzantine empire. The exhibition will showcase many different mediums of art including important texts from the time. The president of Greece will be attending to open up the exhibition, just showing how important and beautiful it will be to showcasing Greek history. I will be excited to visit soon!

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter