1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.

k_tsoukalas

Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.
I have a soft spot for any Greek leaders who displayed Philotimo. King Leonidas (I am sure he knew they were all going to die, but knew they needed to try to bottle neck the Persians in the pass), Metaxas (Ohi Day), and I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Where the name “Greece” comes from

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.

Did you know about Ukraines historical Greek community?

Greeks are all over the world! Even in Ukraine, making them more vulnerable to the war that is going on right now between Ukraine and Russia. This Greek minority has been in Ukraine since Ionians came from the city of Miletus in Asia Minor in around 7th century BC. They settled in an area called Mariupul which as named after the Virgin Mary. Over time these Greeks developed their own culture and dialects, but unfortunately many have been forced to leave ever since the war.

How Egypt influenced Ancient Greece

Ancient Egypt and Greece hav had so much influence over each other, perhaps more than any other ancient civilizations. This article specifically focuses on the impact of Egypt on Ancient Greece.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter