1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.
I have a soft spot for any Greek leaders who displayed Philotimo. King Leonidas (I am sure he knew they were all going to die, but knew they needed to try to bottle neck the Persians in the pass), Metaxas (Ohi Day), and I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Studying the Trojan War - Was it Real?

Did the Trojan War really happen? I am doing a bit of research and wanted to know what you guys thought:

The war is believed to have happened around 1200 BCE, and while there is no concrete evidence to support its occurrence, it is widely accepted as factual.

What is confusing me is how prevalent it is in Greek Mythology. In addition to the gods' involvement in the conflict, various stories and legends were added over time to give the tale more depth and drama. For example, the character of Achilles was said to be invulnerable except for his heel, which led to the phrase "Achilles heel" being used to describe a person's one weakness.

While some scholars once dismissed the Trojan War as pure myth, modern archaeological evidence has suggested that it may have been a real event. Excavations at the ancient site of Troy have revealed evidence of a long period of conflict and destruction, and historians have found similarities between the tale as it is told in ancient texts and what is known about the region's history at the time. While many details of the Trojan War are still shrouded in mystery, it seems increasingly likely that it was not just a legend but a real event that has been passed down through the ages.

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

When is Ochi Day?

Is Ochi Day coming up? It's a federal holiday in Greece, right?

Does anyone have any resources?

I know that this was an important milestone in world history, and definitely in Greece, but I feel like we don't learn much about it outside of Greece.

Even though Greece was ultimately occupied by the Axis Powers, people around the world were inspired that Greece stood up to them and actually almost succeeded.

Powerful stuff.

Documentary about Ancient Greece

I love to watch documentaries about Ancient Greece. I find a lot of content on YouTube but some of it was just created by users and I am not sure the credibility of the sources.

I watched this one recently and wanted to share - it is from the History Channel:

Seeing Ancient Greek Artifacts in the United States...

I just recently visited the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and bumped into a Greek exhibit. It was very cool... Whenever I am in a museum in the United States (or outside of Greece for that matter) I don't really think about seeking out the Greek artifacts.

The exhibit at the MFA was really cool, and it got me thinking about visiting other museums in other parts of the country. Are there any standout exhibits elsewhere in the United States related to Ancient Greece that I can check out? I would imagine cities like Chicago, New York, etc might have something?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT