1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

Constantine the Great was an emperor of the Roman Empire from 306 until his death in 337. He is criticized and praised by many, but he is an important figure in history nonetheless. He has a lot of military and religious significance. He is known for being the first Christian emperor and also during this time, Greece was part of the Roman Empire.

Constantine-the-Great-720x480.jpg

k_tsoukalas

I have read that he was controversial and he can be looked at it in different ways depending on which perspective. One thing is for sure - he definitely made an impact!

Could the Parthenon marbles be returned to Greece?

There is finally some hope in the constant and ongoing battle to return the person on marbles from the United Kingdom to Greece. A new chairman has declared that there is a deal to be done in terms of the marbles. Many are very hopeful that this might be pointing to a potential return, but others have given up hope in this battle. personally, this is something that I would love to see. There are so many artifacts from around the world that are stolen and still being housed in museums in the United Kingdom. The right thing should be done, and the marbles should be returned, as should every other stolen artifact.

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

These are the best Ancient Greek plays to watch

Ancient Greek plays are amazing and so full of history. You can watch these plays live in Greece, or in some cases you can see renditions in other languages in other countries. I haven't seen many different plays available online unfortunately. In my opinion the best plays are Antigone, Odepus and Promotheus!! If you're able to go watch these plays in the Epidavros, I highly recommend it.

48 years ago, Turkey invaded Cyprus

This is one of the saddest stories in Greek history. 48 years ago on July 15, 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus and displaced and killed huge portions of the Greek populations and it continuously illegally occupies northern Cyprus to this day. To this day, there are abandoned Greek homes in Northern Cyprus that people are never able to return to. There is still a UN occupied border between Cyprus and Turkish occupied Cyprus, which is one of the only UN occupied borders left in the world.

Life Aboard Onassis' Legendary Yacht 'Christina .

I don't know where it is appropriate to post this....I think it is best here as it is past and little gossipy.....
Be interesting what others think of it .... Christina O was always moored behind our house in Kalafatis beach @Kalo Livadi nearly all summer....on charter and private use.....
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter