1 - 2 of 2 Posts

d_kakavouli

Horkos' mother was Eris (goddess of strife) and no one knows who his father is. He is most famously known in the story of Aesop's fables where a man borrows money from someone but has no intention of paying it back. The story best displays the importance of earths in Greek mythology and I'll keeping your word was one of the most important things in the ancient Greek judicial system. Horkos means oath in Greek.

horkos-720x826.jpg

k_tsoukalas

It is amazing to me how many different figures there are in Greek mythology. We know all the main players, and we need to know more about the minor characters that were important but not as well-known. Thanks for sharing this!

Movies inspired by Greek mythology that you should watch!

These aren't really "Greek" but they're great for those who love Greek mythology!

1. Disney's Hercules
2. Percy Jackson series
3. 300
4. Troy

Some of the best places to visit in Greece if you love Greek mythology!

-Mount Olympus of course! You can hike to the top and see the excellent view
-The Parthenon! Tickets are pretty affordable and its one of the best sights in Athens. Just don't go when its super hot and sunny
-Delos Island! Delos is a Greek island and archaeological site in the Aegean Sea's Cyclades archipelago, near Mykonos
-Ithaca Island! Ithaca is the setting of one of the most famous myths of ancient Greece, the Odyssey.

Happy traveling!

The myth of medusa explained!

I found this cool video that explains a bit about the story of Medusa which is my favorite story in Greek mythology! I feel that she is so misunderstood and seen as an evil character when in reality she's one of the most powerful characters who is just cursed.

What are your favorite plays from Greek mythology?

I love a good play with an ancient plot! Antigone is one of my favorites, I saw it in Athens a few years back. Its pretty popular and there have been a lot of adaptations since. It is a tragedy by Sophocles written in or before 441 BC. I won't give any spoilers, but as with any Greek play, there is a lot of drama and murder!!! What are your favorite ancient Greek plays?

Check out this Greek mythology podcast!

I thought I would share this podcast for any fellow Greek mythology lovers who like to listen to a podcast on their commute or their morning walks. I love a little dose of mythology throughout my day and Im so happy that this podcast shares a bit of Roman mythology as well! There is so much more that I don't know about mythology that I've been learning just by listening to a few episodes. Hope you enjoy

Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter