1 - 4 of 4 Posts

efhernandez_

Ioannis Metaxas was the Prime Minister of Greece from 1936 to 1941. History looks at him as a general and dictator, but that may not necessarily give the whole picture. Sure, for the first four months of his stint as prime minister he did govern Greece with the constitution in mind. Yes, he eventually abandoned the constitution and formed the 4th of August Regime, but just looking at these events only gives part of the story. Here’s more detail into the life and career Ioannis Metaxas, one of the most recognizable names in modern Greek history. To say the least, the guy was HUGE in Greece!

k_tsoukalas

He was the reason for Ohi Day, which was an important day not only for Greece, but the world. So, seeing him a certain way (as a dictator) it is helpful to remember him for his role in this... among other things. He was a very polarizing figure.

JayJayT

He was the reason for Ohi Day, which was an important day not only for Greece, but the world. So, seeing him a certain way (as a dictator) it is helpful to remember him for his role in this... among other things. He was a very polarizing figure.

Metaxas is one of my favorite Greek historical figures to study. One thing that really fascinates me is how polarizing he was. Some people loved him, some labeled him a dictator. One thing we can't deny is his influence and legacy, though, such as the role he played with "Ohi Day".

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Metaxas is one of my favorite Greek historical figures to study. One thing that really fascinates me is how polarizing he was. Some people loved him, some labeled him a dictator. One thing we can't deny is his influence and legacy, though, such as the role he played with "Ohi Day".
Oxi day was one of the biggest turning points in Greek history. You're right, he is quite polarizing. Maybe its easier not to label him as dictator or hero, he was just influential.

What is the most debated topic in Greek history?

I'd love to start a couple of debates and great conversations! I'm definitely not looking for a fight, just trying to have some engaging conversations. What are the biggest debates that you and your friends or family get into about Greek history?

Can you pass this Greek geography quiz?

I'm so curious to see how much everyone knows about Greek geography. Personally, I know very little so it's super interesting to see how actual Greeks did with these questions.

Well,at last hope commences!

The most famous byzantine style buildings!

Byzantine architecture is one of the hallmarks of Greek buildings, especially churches and holy sites. Some of the most famous Byzantine style buildings include the Hagia Sophia (of course), Hagia Irene, Cathedral Church of Agia Sophia of Thessalonica, and the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian. These buildings have striking Byzantine architecture with beautiful domes on top and ornate designs inside. I can't wait to visit one day.

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter