1 - 4 of 4 Posts

efhernandez_

Ioannis Metaxas was the Prime Minister of Greece from 1936 to 1941. History looks at him as a general and dictator, but that may not necessarily give the whole picture. Sure, for the first four months of his stint as prime minister he did govern Greece with the constitution in mind. Yes, he eventually abandoned the constitution and formed the 4th of August Regime, but just looking at these events only gives part of the story. Here’s more detail into the life and career Ioannis Metaxas, one of the most recognizable names in modern Greek history. To say the least, the guy was HUGE in Greece!

k_tsoukalas

He was the reason for Ohi Day, which was an important day not only for Greece, but the world. So, seeing him a certain way (as a dictator) it is helpful to remember him for his role in this... among other things. He was a very polarizing figure.

JayJayT

He was the reason for Ohi Day, which was an important day not only for Greece, but the world. So, seeing him a certain way (as a dictator) it is helpful to remember him for his role in this... among other things. He was a very polarizing figure.

Metaxas is one of my favorite Greek historical figures to study. One thing that really fascinates me is how polarizing he was. Some people loved him, some labeled him a dictator. One thing we can't deny is his influence and legacy, though, such as the role he played with "Ohi Day".

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Metaxas is one of my favorite Greek historical figures to study. One thing that really fascinates me is how polarizing he was. Some people loved him, some labeled him a dictator. One thing we can't deny is his influence and legacy, though, such as the role he played with "Ohi Day".
Oxi day was one of the biggest turning points in Greek history. You're right, he is quite polarizing. Maybe its easier not to label him as dictator or hero, he was just influential.

Could the Parthenon marbles be returned to Greece?

There is finally some hope in the constant and ongoing battle to return the person on marbles from the United Kingdom to Greece. A new chairman has declared that there is a deal to be done in terms of the marbles. Many are very hopeful that this might be pointing to a potential return, but others have given up hope in this battle. personally, this is something that I would love to see. There are so many artifacts from around the world that are stolen and still being housed in museums in the United Kingdom. The right thing should be done, and the marbles should be returned, as should every other stolen artifact.

Here is how Ancient Greeks celebrated the summer solstice

Perhaps this will give you some inspiration for your own celebration of the solstice! In many different ancient societies, solstices are an extremely important, including Ancient Greece. To celebrate the solstice, the ancient Greeks held a festival each year. The summer solstice was also used as a signifier as to win the Olympic games would be held.

Did you know about Ukraines historical Greek community?

Greeks are all over the world! Even in Ukraine, making them more vulnerable to the war that is going on right now between Ukraine and Russia. This Greek minority has been in Ukraine since Ionians came from the city of Miletus in Asia Minor in around 7th century BC. They settled in an area called Mariupul which as named after the Virgin Mary. Over time these Greeks developed their own culture and dialects, but unfortunately many have been forced to leave ever since the war.

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

Life Aboard Onassis' Legendary Yacht 'Christina .

I don't know where it is appropriate to post this....I think it is best here as it is past and little gossipy.....
Be interesting what others think of it .... Christina O was always moored behind our house in Kalafatis beach @Kalo Livadi nearly all summer....on charter and private use.....
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter