1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

I had no idea that Greece had a royal family until I found out that prince Phillip was born in Corfu and did some googling...and im not even sure I understand how the British royal family connects to. the Greek royal family. Does anyone know why Greece even had a royal family in the first place? And what was their role in ruling the country?

Reactions: Hash

Hash

I had no idea that Greece had a royal family until I found out that prince Phillip was born in Corfu and did some googling...and im not even sure I understand how the British royal family connects to. the Greek royal family. Does anyone know why Greece even had a royal family in the first place? And what was their role in ruling the country?
King Constantine.... Hmmmmh! ...A very emotional and sometimes an inflammatory subject which will raise many pulses!....I will let others chime in on this!🤗

Reactions: francescool

francescool

King Constantine.... Hmmmmh! ...A very emotional and sometimes an inflammatory subject which will raise many pulses!....I will let others chime in on this!🤗
Im not a huge fan at all!!

k_tsoukalas

This is a fascinating time period in history and people don't always realize Phillip was part of the Greek royal family and was born in Greece! The royalty came about after the War for Independence. Greece had tried to establish a government, but it was tumultuous. This is a fairly good overview:

Do you think Helen of Troy was abducted? Or did she escape willingly with Paris?

Many people think that Helen of Troy is a love story… but the details of the story are quite contested. She was said to be the most beautiful woman in the entire world, and the son of Zeus. Her image is depicted in so many ancient Greek illustrations and her beauty was referenced throughout many Greek mythological stories. In some versions of the myth, they depict Helen as Paris's lover, who willingly fled with him. On the other hand, other stories depict her as a victim who was abducted by Paris. What do you all think? Here is a link of the full story...

An Ancient Magical Spell?

In many parts of the world many people or magicians attempted to avert evil by either using amulets or uttering commanding dispelling words. In my native town (founded by Italic Greeks [Throurioi] in 204 B.C., in southern Italy, as I mentioned before) there is a magical spell , which I learned there before moving to New York, but it is in corrupt Latin form, while the local dialect is a bundle of Greek, corrupt Latin, and corrupt Italian words. Its contents make me suppose that it is a late version of a Greek spell:
"uottu e nove, fore mal'uocchiu" literally = "eight and nine, outside/away [be] the evil eye".
Fore = Latin Fore
Mal'uocchiu = male uocchiu < Lat. Malis/Male + Oculus
8 e 9 mean nothing to me, but I have an hypothesis: those words are an invocation to the 8 Chthonic gods and the 9 Celestial or Olympian gods -- not so classified by Hesiod, but probably by Dorians.
The Celestial gods would be , as in the oldest myths, Ouranos and Gaia, plus, from later myths, Selene or Artemis, Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, Chronos, Helios or the Solar Apollo. The Chthonic [terrestrial and underground] gods would be Hades, Poseidon [of fresh and salty waters], the triple-goddess
Hekate [originally the One Below, Khthonie herself; Hekate Phosphoros in Hades; but also identified with Selene/Artemis], the Chthonic Apollon or [Thessalian] Haplos, and two others: Demeter, the mother of grain vegetation, personified as Kore, and Kore, who after Hades' abduction, was identified with Persephone.
So it seems.

The real story of medusa

Medusa is a gorgon, which is a monster figure in Greek mythology. She was not born a gorgon, even though her sisters were. Medusa was turned into one later in life when she was impregnated by Poseidon in one of Athena's temples. Athena became angry and turned her hair into snakes and gave her the ability to turn people to stone.

How were Greek myths recorded and preserved through history

This is something I always wondered... how were Greek myths preserved and kept the same through so many years? I wonder if the myths were changed over the years and if they actually have remained the same as they were when they first created in Ancient Times.

Did you know that Chronos (Greek god of time) is the father of the Olympians?

Chronos who is the Greek god of time actually had children! And many as many Greek gods and goddesses do, he had many! He had six children who are known as the Olympians. Their names are Chiron, Zeus, Hera, Posiden, Hades, Hestia and Demeter. They are perhaps some of the most important figures in Greek mythology, which is why it shocks me that so few people know that they are all Chronos' children. Not surprisingling, there was a lot of drama and incest that occurred between these siblings. Let me know if you'd like for me to post more about them!
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter