1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

I had no idea that Greece had a royal family until I found out that prince Phillip was born in Corfu and did some googling...and im not even sure I understand how the British royal family connects to. the Greek royal family. Does anyone know why Greece even had a royal family in the first place? And what was their role in ruling the country?

Reactions: Hash

Hash

I had no idea that Greece had a royal family until I found out that prince Phillip was born in Corfu and did some googling...and im not even sure I understand how the British royal family connects to. the Greek royal family. Does anyone know why Greece even had a royal family in the first place? And what was their role in ruling the country?
King Constantine.... Hmmmmh! ...A very emotional and sometimes an inflammatory subject which will raise many pulses!....I will let others chime in on this!🤗

Reactions: francescool

francescool

King Constantine.... Hmmmmh! ...A very emotional and sometimes an inflammatory subject which will raise many pulses!....I will let others chime in on this!🤗
Im not a huge fan at all!!

k_tsoukalas

This is a fascinating time period in history and people don't always realize Phillip was part of the Greek royal family and was born in Greece! The royalty came about after the War for Independence. Greece had tried to establish a government, but it was tumultuous. This is a fairly good overview:

Unknown Deity

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
According to the scripture he is the son of Apollo and Apate
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
According to Apollo’s manuscript
Somnios lives today as a human and reincarnates when the the body dies

An Ancient Magical Spell?

In many parts of the world many people or magicians attempted to avert evil by either using amulets or uttering commanding dispelling words. In my native town (founded by Italic Greeks [Throurioi] in 204 B.C., in southern Italy, as I mentioned before) there is a magical spell , which I learned there before moving to New York, but it is in corrupt Latin form, while the local dialect is a bundle of Greek, corrupt Latin, and corrupt Italian words. Its contents make me suppose that it is a late version of a Greek spell:
"uottu e nove, fore mal'uocchiu" literally = "eight and nine, outside/away [be] the evil eye".
Fore = Latin Fore
Mal'uocchiu = male uocchiu < Lat. Malis/Male + Oculus
8 e 9 mean nothing to me, but I have an hypothesis: those words are an invocation to the 8 Chthonic gods and the 9 Celestial or Olympian gods -- not so classified by Hesiod, but probably by Dorians.
The Celestial gods would be , as in the oldest myths, Ouranos and Gaia, plus, from later myths, Selene or Artemis, Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, Chronos, Helios or the Solar Apollo. The Chthonic [terrestrial and underground] gods would be Hades, Poseidon [of fresh and salty waters], the triple-goddess
Hekate [originally the One Below, Khthonie herself; Hekate Phosphoros in Hades; but also identified with Selene/Artemis], the Chthonic Apollon or [Thessalian] Haplos, and two others: Demeter, the mother of grain vegetation, personified as Kore, and Kore, who after Hades' abduction, was identified with Persephone.
So it seems.

These are the Argonauts ⚔️

The Argonauts are the lesser known heroes! They were a group of heroes who followed Jason to retrieve the golden fleece. According to the myth, there was about 90 of these warriors, who were pivotal in achieving the dangerous conquest of the fleas. The argonauts were named after Jasons ship, the Argos, which they used on their journey.

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

The classic myth of the golden fleece

This is a classic story from Greek mythology. As you will see in the video, this fleece was from a coveted golde ram whose hair was made out of gold. Anyone who was able to get their hands on this fleece would be considered a true king and would gain access to power over the land. This is where the story gets a little more complicated...
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter