1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greggd12

Hey guys, what's this tradition all about? Does cracking eggs mean anything or is it just a fun game?

k_tsoukalas

It's symbolic of Jesus's resurrection. He rose out of the tomb, just the same as we crack the shell (the tomb) to get the egg out. There is a game associated with it, as well. We take turns cracking the ends of the eggs together, and the winner is the one whose egg stays intact. Folklare tradition says they are also blessed with good luck. :)

Why-Do-We-Dye-Eggs-Red-for-Easter-720x480.jpg

Reactions: axariotisxy

axariotisxy

It's symbolic of Jesus's resurrection. He rose out of the tomb, just the same as we crack the shell (the tomb) to get the egg out. There is a game associated with it, as well. We take turns cracking the ends of the eggs together, and the winner is the one whose egg stays intact. Folklare tradition says they are also blessed with good luck. :)

View attachment 129
True! It's a fun game with a lot of significance. Here's a link that explains a bit more: https://greekreporter.com/2012/04/13/the-symbolism-of-cracking-red-eggs-on-easter/

Reactions: TatianaS

cwieg43

I think it’s just fun to crack them

What should I expect at a Greek wedding?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer for the first time, are there any customs I should be aware of? I'm so excited!!

What time do Greeks eat their meals?

I'm planning my trip to Greece, and from what I've been told Greek people eat at different times than people from other countries. What are the most popular meal time is in Greece? What time should I plan to go out for dinner, lunch, and breakfast?

greek dinner.jpg

Favorite Greek games?

I'm feeling a little nostalgic today. My favorite Greek game is tavli (I love playing with Grandpa)! What is yours?

tavli.jpeg

Why Do Greeks crack eggs for Easter?

Hey guys, what's this tradition all about? Does cracking eggs mean anything or is it just a fun game?

I am a non-Greek and I don’t know how to choose Godparents

I am six months pregnant and I'm married to a Greek guy and we've been having lots of discussion about Godparents. I'm not Greek so I don't know too much about Godparents and I've never had any. Could anyone give me some advice on how to choose Godparents? I’m so lost!!

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter