1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

This is some thing that I’ve noticed throughout the culture, and of course from the classic movie, My Big Fat at Greek Wedding. And I am just wondering, what is the actual reason that Greek people usually only marry within their culture? Does it have something to do with history, religion, or anything else? This is also some thing that is pretty common amongst other cultures, I definitely see it strongly in Jewish culture, Middle Eastern cultures, and Indian culture as well.

ellinasgolfer0320

It's because we understand each other. The Greek culture is also very strong and we bring hellenism wherever we go. If we marry a non-greek then we force them to accept the Greek culture.

It's not just Greeks, it's also other cultures/races too... people tend to marry people who have similar customs/histories/backgrounds

Last edited:
Reactions: Lefke Evgena

Samos66

I married a northern Italian and I regret it every day Greeks are different but all the same doesn’t matter where you are we all understand each other.

Sandyrigo

I think this is a bigger deal in the US. My husband had many Greek Americans try and convince him not to marry me. They could introduce him to a nice Greek girl. Relatives in Greece were extremely welcoming and we have cousins and friends there that are married to non-Greeks. 33 years later we are still married, have a summer home in Greece and visit for two months every year.

Reactions: Hash

k_tsoukalas

It really all depends on the family. I have plenty of Greek friends who didn't marry Greeks, and all of my cousins didn't marry Greeks. Although, speaking from experience, it can be hard. It's nice to have someone as a partner who understands your cultural background.

What are your favorite wedding favors?

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?

Any recommendations for Greek tv comedies to watch as a family?

Im looking to watch some funny and family friendly Greek tv shows to watch with the family! If anyone has any recommendations for Greek tv shows and where I can find them I would really appreciate it. I have a hard time finding international tv shows online these days. Thanks in advance! 😊

What are the most in demand jobs for Greek speakers?

I would love to leverage my Greek speaking ability in the job market and see where my skills can be most valuable in the future. I am still in school now, so I am not looking for a job quite yet but I am just curious what everyone else's experience has been. Is Greek a useful language to know outside of Greece?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter