1 - 2 of 2 Posts

redsoxdw_

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!

ellinasgolfer0320

I hate to be that person, but I can't think of a word that would end in akis (ακης) except for male names like giannakis (Γιαννάκης) or adonakis (αδωνακης)

Aki generally means "small" and the gender is neuter, but not all words are allowed to end in aki because they may be feminine or masculine in gender (there are a few exceptions here). Some common endings for masculine and feminine words area itsa, oula/oulis, or akis (not the same as aki).

Geneeally speaking, there is no plural for these endings because in most instances you don't use them in the plural. That said, for food when using aki (ακι), the plural is akia (ακια), because whenever a Greek word ends in iota, you add alpha to the end to make it plural. So the plural of a few words ending in aki:
  1. dolmadaki (ντολμαδάκι) becomes dolmadakia (ντολμαδάκια)
  2. Spanakopitaki (σπανακοπιτακι) becomes spanakopitakia (σπανακοπιτακια)
  3. Pswmaki (ψωμάκι) becomes pswmakia (ψωμάκια)
  4. Neraki (νεράκι) becomes nerakia (νεράκια)
  5. Pitaki (πατάκι) becomes pitakia (πιτάκια)
But some words end in oula and since oula is a feminine ending, the plural of oula mus be changes to oules. For example
  1. Gatoula (γατούλα) becomes gatoules (γατούλες)
  2. Mikroula (μικρούλα) becomes mikroules (μικρούλες)
But with names it doesn't really work the same way, because you don't usually say them in the plural with these endings.

The duties of a Greek Godparent

Godparents play an extremely important role in the God child's life. They are supposed to be their spiritual guide, and care for the child, similar to an aunt or an uncle. Customarily, a Godparent is also supposed to care for the child if anything happens to the parents. They provide gifts for the child on spiritual holidays, birthdays, and name days, and are present for important milestones. Although, not every Godparent is very engaging, and over the years some people lose touch with the families.

Check out this basic Greek etiquette video

I'm not sure if I agree with all the points that have been made in the video, but I do think that Greeks have a very specific culture and etiquette amongst themselves that is not really known to outsiders. I've been to Greece a few times, and my understanding of the culture is pretty good. What I have noticed is that Greeks can be extremely hospitable, but I have happened upon some rude people as well. For the most part, it really depends on the person.

How to save money at your Greek wedding

Greek weddings can get pretty pricey, especially if you have a lot of guests and you're planning on getting married in the peak summer season. The best thing you can do is start planning your wedding early, so that you have time to shop around and see which vendors and venues will be the cheapest. Your wedding dress and suit will definitely be much cheaper if you buy it from Greece, so I do suggest that you get it there if you're able to get it done in time for the wedding. Outdoor venues also tend to be a lot cheaper indoor ballrooms. My last tip of advice, it's going to the destination that isn't so popular. If you want to get married in Santorini or Mykonos, your budget is definitely going to be much bigger in comparison to the mainland or Crete for example. Let me know if you have any more tips and if this helps!

Do you know these famous Greeks?

This is a really fun game to test your Greek knowledge. Do you know all of these politicians and celebrities? I could only name a few.

Do any of you have questions about Greek?

Do any of you have questions about Greek - speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, pronunciation, etc? I know some of you are learning online, and being able to ask specific questions isn't something you can always do. Greek can be confusing because words have multiple meaning - e.g. the word apo (από) has at least 5-10 different meanings - and the order of the words in a sentence can in any order you want. If you have any thing that might be confusing to you or you need some clarification on please ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter