1 - 2 of 2 Posts

redsoxdw_

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!

ellinasgolfer0320

I hate to be that person, but I can't think of a word that would end in akis (ακης) except for male names like giannakis (Γιαννάκης) or adonakis (αδωνακης)

Aki generally means "small" and the gender is neuter, but not all words are allowed to end in aki because they may be feminine or masculine in gender (there are a few exceptions here). Some common endings for masculine and feminine words area itsa, oula/oulis, or akis (not the same as aki).

Geneeally speaking, there is no plural for these endings because in most instances you don't use them in the plural. That said, for food when using aki (ακι), the plural is akia (ακια), because whenever a Greek word ends in iota, you add alpha to the end to make it plural. So the plural of a few words ending in aki:
  1. dolmadaki (ντολμαδάκι) becomes dolmadakia (ντολμαδάκια)
  2. Spanakopitaki (σπανακοπιτακι) becomes spanakopitakia (σπανακοπιτακια)
  3. Pswmaki (ψωμάκι) becomes pswmakia (ψωμάκια)
  4. Neraki (νεράκι) becomes nerakia (νεράκια)
  5. Pitaki (πατάκι) becomes pitakia (πιτάκια)
But some words end in oula and since oula is a feminine ending, the plural of oula mus be changes to oules. For example
  1. Gatoula (γατούλα) becomes gatoules (γατούλες)
  2. Mikroula (μικρούλα) becomes mikroules (μικρούλες)
But with names it doesn't really work the same way, because you don't usually say them in the plural with these endings.

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks

Learning About Greek Orthodox Religion

I am of Dominican descent and my husband and I had an Orthodox wedding, but I didn't convert. I want to learn about the religion more to better connect with him and his side of the family ... what types of things should I look at? I found this link online and found it informative. How should I learn about Greek Orthodox?

Greek Wedding Traditions for Weddings in Greece?

I am in research mode. My wedding is next year and I feel like I am behind. I am not Greek or an Orthodox Christian, but I love Greece and the culture. Are there any traditions that it might be fun if I incorporate into the ceremony or the celebrations? I am not sure where to start!

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

Should I Bring Something to a Greek-Australian Dinner Party?

I am of Greek descent but I was born in Australia. Although my name sounds very Greek, I didn't actually grow up close to the culture. I am invited to a dinner party to a friend's house, and they have only just moved from Greece. Of course, I always went to dinner parties put on my family, but this is different. Usually my family would tell me what to bring and I don't have to think about gifts. What do you bring to a friend's house during a dinner party? Wine? Food?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter