1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

I assume that is because of the technological advancements and widespread power of ancient Greek empires. But I’ve always wondered why there isn’t so much emphasis on the other time periods of Greek history. In my opinion other parts of Greek history have such a deep and beautiful rich history that should be just as famous as the ancient Greek history. If anyone has any insight on why there is so much fascination about ancient Greece in ancient Greek mythology, I would love to know.

Vangelis

The ancient Greek political, military, theatre, arts, literary, medical, scientific and mathematical processes are the basis for the "western liberal democratic" world that many of us live in. I'm sure if we were born in China or India we would be taught about the ancient Chinese and Indian civilisations and their influence on our modern civilisaion.

I am not aware of any other society or part of Greek history which has contributed so much to "western" society.

I would be interested to hear from you about other times in Greek history where the learning and knowledge has been of such a high level that it is centuries or millennia ahead of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

The ancient Greek political, military, theatre, arts, literary, medical, scientific and mathematical processes are the basis for the "western liberal democratic" world that many of us live in. I'm sure if we were born in China or India we would be taught about the ancient Chinese and Indian civilisations and their influence on our modern civilisaion.

I am not aware of any other society or part of Greek history which has contributed so much to "western" society.

I would be interested to hear from you about other times in Greek history where the learning and knowledge has been of such a high level that it is centuries or millennia ahead of the rest of the world.
I guess it depends on what type of contributions that different societies value. Definitely Greece has made major contributions in terms of western political structures and architecture for example which is highly valued in the west. Of course, there are other great contributions that Greece has made in terms of poetry and modern art for example that may not be as talked about

Because we invented everything

k_tsoukalas

I think it is because of not only the inventions, but the wealth of knowledge that was gained during this time, not just with philosophy, but math and science as well. For me, this is where the fascination lies. I want to know more about the people who made these remarkable discoveries.

Reactions: Vangelis

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Could the Parthenon marbles be returned to Greece?

There is finally some hope in the constant and ongoing battle to return the person on marbles from the United Kingdom to Greece. A new chairman has declared that there is a deal to be done in terms of the marbles. Many are very hopeful that this might be pointing to a potential return, but others have given up hope in this battle. personally, this is something that I would love to see. There are so many artifacts from around the world that are stolen and still being housed in museums in the United Kingdom. The right thing should be done, and the marbles should be returned, as should every other stolen artifact.

48 years ago, Turkey invaded Cyprus

This is one of the saddest stories in Greek history. 48 years ago on July 15, 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus and displaced and killed huge portions of the Greek populations and it continuously illegally occupies northern Cyprus to this day. To this day, there are abandoned Greek homes in Northern Cyprus that people are never able to return to. There is still a UN occupied border between Cyprus and Turkish occupied Cyprus, which is one of the only UN occupied borders left in the world.

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

Life Aboard Onassis' Legendary Yacht 'Christina .

I don't know where it is appropriate to post this....I think it is best here as it is past and little gossipy.....
Be interesting what others think of it .... Christina O was always moored behind our house in Kalafatis beach @Kalo Livadi nearly all summer....on charter and private use.....
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter