1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

I assume that is because of the technological advancements and widespread power of ancient Greek empires. But I’ve always wondered why there isn’t so much emphasis on the other time periods of Greek history. In my opinion other parts of Greek history have such a deep and beautiful rich history that should be just as famous as the ancient Greek history. If anyone has any insight on why there is so much fascination about ancient Greece in ancient Greek mythology, I would love to know.

Vangelis

The ancient Greek political, military, theatre, arts, literary, medical, scientific and mathematical processes are the basis for the "western liberal democratic" world that many of us live in. I'm sure if we were born in China or India we would be taught about the ancient Chinese and Indian civilisations and their influence on our modern civilisaion.

I am not aware of any other society or part of Greek history which has contributed so much to "western" society.

I would be interested to hear from you about other times in Greek history where the learning and knowledge has been of such a high level that it is centuries or millennia ahead of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

The ancient Greek political, military, theatre, arts, literary, medical, scientific and mathematical processes are the basis for the "western liberal democratic" world that many of us live in. I'm sure if we were born in China or India we would be taught about the ancient Chinese and Indian civilisations and their influence on our modern civilisaion.

I am not aware of any other society or part of Greek history which has contributed so much to "western" society.

I would be interested to hear from you about other times in Greek history where the learning and knowledge has been of such a high level that it is centuries or millennia ahead of the rest of the world.
I guess it depends on what type of contributions that different societies value. Definitely Greece has made major contributions in terms of western political structures and architecture for example which is highly valued in the west. Of course, there are other great contributions that Greece has made in terms of poetry and modern art for example that may not be as talked about

Because we invented everything

k_tsoukalas

I think it is because of not only the inventions, but the wealth of knowledge that was gained during this time, not just with philosophy, but math and science as well. For me, this is where the fascination lies. I want to know more about the people who made these remarkable discoveries.

Reactions: Vangelis

Did you know that the marathon originated in ancient Greece?

The modern day marathon as we know it originated from the battle of the marathon. There was a battle between Greece and Persia, which was won by the Greeks. This video reveals how the name actually came to be! You will all be so shocked from this piece of Ancient Greek history!

Well,at last hope commences!

Why Alexander the Great was so powerful

We know that great men do not just come from nowhere. Alexander the Great was molded into the ruler that conquered all of Persia by his father and many great philosophers, namely Aristotle. His father, King Phillip had already established a very successful empire that was already expanding. Once Alexander became old enough, the empire was handed to him and he was able to quickly build it into one of the greatest empires of all time.

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.

These are some of the most famous Greek historical figures

Because Greece has such a long history, there are so many historical figures to choose from.... from ancient Greeks to modern artists. This is my personal list, and please let me know what you think and add some of your favorites. Also, keep in mind that these are listed in no particular order!

-Plato
-Aristotle
-Kolokotronis
-Onassis
-Socrates
-Alexander the Great
-Kazantzakis
-Constantinos Cavafis
-Mixalis Theodorakis
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter