1 - 2 of 2 Posts

greggd12

Agios Nikolaos is a very important Saint all over Greece, but he has a particular importance in Crete and his feast is highly celebrated. Agios Nikolaos is the protector of children, they need to come and fisherman. Fisherman or an extremely big part of Crete and he is said to protect Crete's fisherman, who are a big part of the islands economy and well-being. He is from a city by the sea in Asia Minor so he has another connection to the sea there. On December 6, port cities in Crete celebrate with festivities and celebrate the navy and the military. Agios Nikolaos is also the patron saint of the city Agios Nikolaos in Crete.

k_tsoukalas

This is fascinating. Agios Nikolaos is a beautiful place to visit on Crete and I never really knew anything about the saint. Thanks for sharing!

Check out this amazing Cretan tune

Cretan music is truly one of the best! These songs are some of the most popular Cretan songs throughout time and are preformed here as covers by Konstantinos and Ilias Drougas. As you can see in the video, the group is dancing along using Cretan dances, which are pretty popular throughout Greece since the culture is so renowned. Let me know if you like it! I will be going to a wedding in Crete this summer and I am prepping :)

Where is the best place to have a secluded and romantic wedding in Crete?

My cousin is looking for some romantic and secluded wedding locations in Crete. I am wondering if any of you have been to weddings and cream, or gotten married there yourselves. The wedding won’t be religious, so it doesn’t need to be in any specific place like a church. I am open to any suggestions! Thanks everyone!

Crete is the best place to explore Greek cuisine

Crete is absolutely the best place to explore the flavours of Greece! Many agricultural exports come from Crete, which makes it the best place to get the freshest ingredients. Crete also has many local dishes that are unique to the island which are great to try. Here are some links of some of the best restaurants on the island

Kouzeineri

Peskesi

To Pigadi

Theodosi

Local farms to visit while in Crete!

Visiting local farms is one of the best way to see the real agriculture production processes in Greece. Crete is one of the most agricultural islands in the country, and is responsible for producing many olives and wheat that is sent to the mainland and other parts of the world. If you're lucky, some of these farms will have food tasting and tours that are available during the summer months. Some of the most known farms are Agreco Farm, Cretan farm in Hersonissos and the Cretan Olive Oil Farm.

Maleviziotikos is a beautiful and energetic Cretan dance!

I have never seen this beautiful Cretan dance live but I'm sure this video does it justice! As you can see, the dance is very energetic and seems to be very celebratory.I can imagine that it takes a lot of cardio and stamina to preform for a long period of time. I would love to know more information about when this dance is used, and what it signifies in the Cretan. I am not Cretan myself, so I am not too sure.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter