1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mastichas09

This applies to all places in Greece, except for the beach! If you're going on day trips, I highly recommend that you wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. Most places in Greece, especially touristy areas and ancient sites have cobblestone paths. Villages tend to be very hilly or have dirt paths. It can be super challenging if you are wearing heels or fancy shoes. I suggest that you keep those for going on short walks to dinner.

Reactions: Hash
This is great advice! It's so hot in Greece and sneakers make me feel hotter so I bought a pair of sandals that were made for hiking - they work like a charm. They keep my feet cool and give me support.

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance

Tips for Traveling to Greece on a Budget

Traveling to Greece is a dream for many, conjuring images of stunning beaches, ancient ruins, and vibrant Mediterranean culture. However, experiencing the wonders Greece has to offer doesn’t have to break the bank. Let's face it - it can be expensive to get there - especially if you are traveling from outside of Europe and during peak season. Keeping these tips in mind, though, can help you cut costs.

1. Travel During the Off-Peak Season

One of the best ways to save money while traveling to Greece is by going during the off-peak season, which is typically from October to April. Not only will you benefit from lower prices in flights and accommodations, but you'll also escape the heavy tourist crowds, allowing for a more authentic experience of Greece's beauty and culture.

2. Opt for Lesser-Known Destinations

While Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini are must-visit destinations, Greece is filled with hidden gems that are often overlooked. Consider visiting the Peloponnese region, Meteora, or even the northern part of the country, like Thessaloniki and the Chalkidiki Peninsula. These areas offer breathtaking views, historical sites, and genuine interactions with local culture at a fraction of the cost.

3. Use Public Transportation

Greece’s public transportation system is both efficient and affordable. Ferries can take you between islands at a good rate, especially if you book in advance. On land, buses and trains connect major cities and regions. Utilizing these options instead of renting a car or taking flights can significantly reduce your travel costs.

4. Savor Local Eats

Another great way to save while indulging in the richness of Greek culture is through its cuisine. Avoid tourist traps and opt for where the locals eat. Tavernas and street food vendors offer delicious and authentic Greek food for much less than restaurants in high-traffic tourist areas. Don’t skip on trying the gyros, souvlaki, and the myriad of seafood options.

5. Stay in Budget Accommodations

Greece offers a wide array of budget-friendly accommodations, ranging from hostels to budget hotels and Airbnb listings. Booking in advance can secure you a better deal, especially if traveling during the peak season. Consider staying in a location slightly off the beaten path; you might discover a quaint neighborhood or a breathtaking beach that’s not swarmed by tourists.

Traveling to Greece on a budget is more than feasible with a bit of planning and some savvy travel hacks. By following these tips, you can immerse yourself in the rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality Greece is renowned for, all while keeping your expenses in check. Remember, the essence of travel is not in how much you spend, but in the experiences you gather and the memories you create.

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back