1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

Φιλοξενία – Filoksenia: This is the idea of being generous and offering friendship (in a loving way) to a stranger or foreigner. This word does not exist in most other languages and is a big part of Greek Culture and expression.

Για πάρτη μου – Ya Parti Mou: Technically this phrase means “for me” and it is used to mean “treating yourself” well.

Φιλότιμο – Filotimo: This means honor and truth and friendship, and loyalty to one another.

ellinasgolfer0320

True those can be difficult, but "gia parti mou" is not that difficult. It means "only me/myself/him/you/etc.."

For example:

I kardia sou einai mono gia parti mou - Η καρδιά σου είναι μόνο για πάρτη μου - Your heart is only for me
I agapi mou einai mono gia parti sou - Η αγάπη μου είναι μόνο για πάρτη σου - My love is only for you
Skeftetai mono gia parti tou - Σκεφτέται μόνο για πάρτη του - He only thinks about himself

Last edited:
Reactions: knicks_fan87
True those can be difficult, but "gia parti mou" is not that difficult. It means "only me/myself/him/you/etc.."

For example:

I kardia mou einai mono gia parti mou - Η καρδιά σου είναι μόνο για πάρτη μου - Your heart is only for me
I agapi mou einai mono gia parti sou - Η αγάπη μου είναι μλονο για πάρτη σου - My love is only for you
Skeftetai mono gia parti tou - Σκεφτέται μόνο για πάρτη του - He only thinks about himself
Great examples, I've never heard of this phrase but I may start using it when I'm practicing Greek

Isn't the question about words not phrases?

Vocabulary words that you need to know if you are going to the beach in Greece!

These are going to be super helpful when you're going to the beach in Greece!

• Swimsuit – το μαγιό – to mayio
  • Red (black, blue, etc) Swimsuit – το κόκκινο (μαύρο, μπλε, etc) μαγιό – to kokkino (mavro, ble, etc) mayio
  • Beach – η παραλία – I paralia
  • Ocean – ο ωκεανός – o okeanos
  • Mediterranean Sea – Η Μεσόγειος – I mesoyeeos
  • Sun – Ο ήλιος – o ilios
  • Sunglasses – τα γυαλιά Ηλιού – ta gyaliá Ilioú
  • Swimming – κολύμπι – kolimbi
  • Towel – πετσέτα – peseta
  • Seashell – το κοχύλι – to kohili
  • Suntan – το μαύρισμα – to mavrisma
  • Palm Tree – το φοίνικα – to finika
  • Life Guard – ο ναυαγοσώστης – o navagosóstis
  • Sunscreen – το αντηλιακό – to aftiliako
  • Bikini – το μπικίνι – to bikini

What do Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving?

This question is out of pure curiotisty! What do my fellow Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving? Do you eat turkey? Do you even celebrate?

How to dance tsifteteli (Greek bellydancing)!

I love these tutorials :) gotta start practicing for the Greek festivals next Sumer (hopefully I will be able to attend)

What lighting a candle means at a Greek church

In Greek church, we light candles and make a prayer. Its one of my favourite traditions. Candles are usually at the front of the church and you usually add a few coins or dollars in the box besides the candles to "pay" for the candles.

holy-thursday-720x480.jpg

This is what a Greek Orthodox baptism looks like!

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter