1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This square was originally named after the Christian Brotherhood of the Youth of Thessaloniki, also known as XAN for short. You can visit the State Museum of Contemporary Art, the Tower of OTE and International Trade Fair!! I highly suggest you check it out

k_tsoukalas

This square was originally named after the Christian Brotherhood of the Youth of Thessaloniki, also known as XAN for short. You can visit the State Museum of Contemporary Art, the Tower of OTE and International Trade Fair!! I highly suggest you check it out
I have heard great things about this square! Thank you for sharing the information.

ladytina

Xan Square is a place that I try to visit every time I am in Thessaloniki. I don't always visit all those places, but I do like to be at the square quite a bit. It's a great place!

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

Xan Square is a place that I try to visit every time I am in Thessaloniki. I don't always visit all those places, but I do like to be at the square quite a bit. It's a great place!
Agreed! Just being in the area is really nice to walk around and visit shops, there's always something to stumble upon even if you don't have your whole day planned out with sightseeing

ladytina

Agreed! Just being in the area is really nice to walk around and visit shops, there's always something to stumble upon even if you don't have your whole day planned out with sightseeing
Exactly, to take in the energy. It's a great place, one of my favorites in the city.

Reactions: efhernandez_

efhernandez_

Exactly, to take in the energy. It's a great place, one of my favorites in the city.
Where else do you recommend in Thessaloniki?? :)

Katerini is a great tourist town outside of Thessaloniki

Katerini is a lesser known beach and tourist town near Thessaloniki. There are some great restaurants right by the water that are very authentic and offer many different options like meze as well as home style Greek food. I’ve only visited once but I plan on going again when I visit Thessaloniki. Have any of you visited.

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

You should rent a bike to tour Thessaloniki!

Many people don't think to rent a bike to see the city, but I think it's one of the best things you can do since Thessaloniki is right on the water and you will get some amazing views. Unlike different cities nearby, like Kavala, Thessaloniki doesn't have that many hills and is very easy to get around on the bike. I just recommend that you're careful of drivers, as Greek drivers can be a bit aggressive on the road. When I last visited, it was a few years back so I don't remember which bike rental company we used. So if anyone recommendations please drop them below.

What makes food and drink so special in Thessaloniki restaurants ?

The new Hellenic Temples

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter