1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

This salad is a classic! It’s customary to order this at every single meal in Greece. It perfectly balanced the heavier meat and potato dishes. It’s always so good and I highly recommend that you order it. I just had this one, it’s a little more modern style but the flavors are the same. 😊
946D0E9B-7534-4C16-A034-22FE36ED191A.jpeg

This is my favorite salad! This looks so delicious. I make it slightly different each time, but the main components are always the same. I always make sure I have cucumbers, tomatoes, onions or scallions, feta cheese, oregano, and olives. But sometimes I put bell peppers, capers, and other ingredients depending on what I have.

Different Types of Feta Cheese?

Whenever I buy feta cheese from different places, it tastes slightly different. Does anyone know why? I know that there are specific rules for creating feta cheese, so what is responsible for his differential in flavor and texture?

Is it possible that a place (for example a restaurant) may not actually be buying "Greek" feta? Meaning, could it be a situation where they aren't following the rules and are making a feta-like cheese using different milks, etc? Perhaps it isn't from Greece?

I truly only like Greek feta as far as I know. How can the other places call it feta if they're not following the rules?

greek-feta-cheese.jpg

What are 5 ingredients of Greek cuisine you can't live without?

I am working on stocking a better pantry for cooking Greek foods, but I thought I'd do something fun.

I would love it if you could share with me your top five staple ingredients for Greek cuisine and maybe a little but about why.

I am going to share mine to get things started:

1. Feta Cheese - Of course! Greek food wouldn't be the same.
2. Phyllo - I have learned that I won't make my own, so I have to keep it on hand.
3. Greek olive oil - I should have put this first! I can't live without olive oil lol
4. Greek oregano - I bring a bunch back from Greece or order it online when I run out. Nothing beats it!
5. Greek olives - I like to keep 2-3 different types on hand - I get these from a local Greek store.

What are your choices?

greek-pantry-items.jpg

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

What is tsipouro?

Today, I'm curious to learn more about a Greek spirit that's caught my attention — Tsipouro. Often mentioned alongside other legendary beverages like Ouzo, Tsipouro seems to be a significant part of Greek culinary and social tradition, yet it doesn't seem to have the same international fame.

From what little I've gathered, Tsipouro is a strong distilled spirit made from grape pomace, the residue left after wine production. But my understanding barely scratches the surface. I am curious first of all if this is the same thing as Raki on Crete. Also, on Crete I had Raki with honey - can you do that with Tsipouro?

tsipouro-greek-spirit.jpg

What do you eat for breakfast?

I have been wondering what traditional Greeks eat for breakfast. I am a bit Americanized in my habits, but I noticed I am constantly not very hungry in the morning.

From what I've gathered, a traditional Greek breakfast might not be as globally recognized as the full English breakfast or the American pancakes and bacon, but it's definitely a feast worth exploring. I'm curious, does anyone here know what a traditional Greek breakfast consists of?

From the initial research, it seems that fresh ingredients play a big role, with items like Greek yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, and nuts being quite common. There's also mention of various types of bread and pastries, such as the famous Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tyropita (cheese pie). However, I believe there's more to discover and learn from personal experiences or detailed insights.

Do any of you have Greek heritage or have been to Greece and experienced a traditional Greek breakfast firsthand?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back