1 - 1 of 1 Posts

mj_toronto8

This is such a great recipe to make when you've had half a bottle of wine, and don't want to finish it. The next day, all you need to do is add it to this recipe and you won't be wasting your good wine. There are many variations of this recipe, especially amongst families but this is the one that I use. Please let me know if there are other versions that have worked for you.
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1/3 cup sweet Greek wine
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
All you need to do is mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately, and then combine them and roll into small balls. Bake for about 20 minutes at 375°F or until light brown on the outside. Enjoy!

How to make a gyro completely from scratch

Making gyros can be pretty simple… but also pretty complicated. If you're in the mood for a challenge, I recommend that you check out this video and try making all of the different parts of a gyro from scratch. This is what I like to do if I have a little extra time on my hands, and want to impress my family lol. Of course, ordering takeout is always a great option, especially if you're supporting a local Greek business.

Do you know where honey gets its taste?

A little known fact, is that the flavor of honey will depend on where the bees are getting their nectar. Meaning that if the bees are getting their nectar from sunflowers or evergreen trees, your honey will taste totally different and have a completely different color! I personally love evergreen honey! This video explains it much better than me...check it out

How to make a creamy Greek chicken pasta!

This recipe is perfect for a big family with kids who are picky eaters! You can make this pasta in only 15 minutes, which is the best part! If im cooking it for adults, I always like to add a bit more vegetables since my kids don't really like veggies. You can always choose fresh artichokes or canned, but canned is definitely much faster. Let me know what you think of this recipe!

Have you ever made a traditional Greek rabbit recipe?

Rabbit is considered a delicacy in Greece, even though it's not so popular today. There are many different variations of rabbit that are made in Greece, but the most popular is a rabbit stew. The stew consists of tomato, carrots, celery, a whole rabbit, onions, garlic, and spices such as rosemary, allspice, bay leaf, pepper, and salt. This is a great recipe that I have tried myself and I like to make every now and then when I can find rabbit at the butcher or farmers market.

Have you ever made Greek fruit soaked in wine and honey?

This is one of the easiest and fastest Greek recipes that you can make! All you need is seasonal fruit, your favorite Greek sweet wine, some honey, and any spices that you prefer. I like to use a Greek honey as well, and if I can find it I will use pine tree honey. It has an amazing aromatic flavor. Here is my recipe

• 1/2 cups sweet red wine such as mavrodaphne
  • 4 tbs honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice (fresh is best)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 cups seasonal fruit of your choice
First, you need to cut up your fruits and then make the mixture separately. Drizzle the mixture on top of the fruit, and there you have it! It's best serve chilled from the fridge and even on top of yogurt.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter