1 - 8 of 8 Posts

francescool

According to the Canadian Government website, there are certain areas that should be avoided when traveling to Greece, especially on particular days where there are demonstrations.

Demonstrations are usually held on days of social or historical significance, such as:
  • Workers' Day on May 1
  • the commemoration of the Athens Polytechnic uprising of 1973 on November 17
  • the commemoration of the riots of 2008 on December 6
In Athens, demonstrations and marches occur primarily in areas around:
  • Syntagma Square, in front of the Greek Parliament
  • Omonia Square
  • the National Technical University complex on Patision Avenue
  • Exarchia neighbourhood
In Thessaloniki, they occur primarily in areas around:
  • Aristotelous Square
  • Egnatia Street
  • the Arch of Galerius
  • the campus of the Aristotle University
As always, take precautions and be safe!
More info: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/greece

Reactions: k_tsoukalas

Vangelis

Yep, I definitely agree with that. All tourists should especially stay away from Exarcheia because that's where I live and I don't want any of those foreigners around! ;)

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

Yep, I definitely agree with that. All tourists should especially stay away from Exarcheia because that's where I live and I don't want any of those foreigners around! ;)
Ahahaha! Exarcheia is beautiful, but people must be cautious

Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

Ahahaha! Exarcheia is beautiful, but people must be cautious
Ah yes, my Athenian friend told me not to go to the Exarcheia square late at night. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was there at 3am the previous night.

But anyhow, I was last there in 2019 and the current government and city mayor have vowed to "clean it up". I have noticed that some of my favourite restaurants have been gentrified so I won't be going there any more. Hopefully there will still be a few genuine venues left by the time I get there next month! Looking forward to finding out what has changed.

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

Ah yes, my Athenian friend told me not to go to the Exarcheia square late at night. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was there at 3am the previous night.

But anyhow, I was last there in 2019 and the current government and city mayor have vowed to "clean it up". I have noticed that some of my favourite restaurants have been gentrified so I won't be going there any more. Hopefully there will still be a few genuine venues left by the time I get there next month! Looking forward to finding out what has changed.
I didn't know there was gentrification even in Greece. So sad that this has now become a global phenomenon and culture is dying off everywhere and people are being pushed out of their neighborhoods.

Reactions: Vangelis
This is a great tip. I have been to Greece during plenty of protests and strikes and as long as you avoid the hot areas it won't even be an issue. I didn't know about some of the hot spots on the list so thanks for sharing!

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

This is a great tip. I have been to Greece during plenty of protests and strikes and as long as you avoid the hot areas it won't even be an issue. I didn't know about some of the hot spots on the list so thanks for sharing!
Exactly, if you exclude the city during these demonstrations, Greece is one of the safest places in the world.

k_tsoukalas

Exactly, if you exclude the city during these demonstrations, Greece is one of the safest places in the world.
I totally agree, I have never felt unsafe in Greece and I've been there during some tricky times. I was there for more than one of the bailout upheavals over the years, as well as several transportation strikes with public transportation not working, as well as the protests that were going along with them.

Marathonisi Islet is a wonderful place to visit in Zakynthos

I never see people talking about Marathonisi Islet and I don't know why! The islet is right across from Laganas Beach and is not inhabited by any locals. Its simply a beautiful piece of untouched nature that is great for a day trip.

Why you should wear sneakers and comfortable shoes in Greece

This applies to all places in Greece, except for the beach! If you're going on day trips, I highly recommend that you wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. Most places in Greece, especially touristy areas and ancient sites have cobblestone paths. Villages tend to be very hilly or have dirt paths. It can be super challenging if you are wearing heels or fancy shoes. I suggest that you keep those for going on short walks to dinner.

Dont worry, you can always have breakfast on the ferry

I’ve taken countless ferries across the Greek islands, and I always seem to be rushing to get on the boat in time. One thing that I love about Greek ferries, is that there’s always a café on board where you can buy snacks, pastries, and coffee. It’s a little bit pricey, so keep that in mind. You can also get coffee from the ferry port! Safe travels 😊

Did you know that wine is super cheap in Greece?

Many people think that wine is for those with expensive taste. The reality is that you can find amazing wines at extremely low prices if you search in the right places. You can get ones that cost as low as four euros at your local supermarket and convenient store in Greece. If you’re traveling on a budget to Greece this year, I highly recommend that you opt for store-bought wine instead of ordering a bottle or glass at restaurants for example. There’s nothing better than getting a few snacks and wine from the grocery store and setting up a picnic on the beach.

Check out this stunning port near Piraeus

Right next to Piraeus is Port Alimos which houses smaller sailboats and yachts. The area has a beautiful cafe that overlooks the water called Día Noche where many sea goers stop and lunch before and after their trips. If you’re interested in taking a trip around the mainland or to neighboring islands I highly recommend you get in contact with someone from the port.

9C101161-3815-40F0-88B0-E2F8FA97F56B.jpeg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter