1 - 9 of 9 Posts

nm1999

What do you usually serve for desserts at Greek Easter? I'm invited to a socially distanced Greek Easter gathering but I've never been to an easter party before, and I want to bring a dessert. Thanks

Greek Easter is an all-you-can-eat feast so I recommend to bring something refreshing that will go well with the lamb in your stomach!
If you can find baklava, ravani or "portokalopita" (served with ice cream) it would be great. Personally, I would enjoy more a strawberry shortcake or a lemon meringue tart.

Reactions: greggd12
Greek Easter is an all-you-can-eat feast so I recommend to bring something refreshing that will go well with the lamb in your stomach!
If you can find baklava, ravani or "portokalopita" (served with ice cream) it would be great. Personally, I would enjoy more a strawberry shortcake or a lemon meringue tart.
Ravani is a great option! It's a bit more light and perfect to pair with heartier meats

This year Easter falls in Autumn (fall). We do things a bit different in our home. After our Easter prayer, we break our eggs and the feast begins. Kastellorizian pilafi and gemisi are a MUST at our Easter feast. We cater for all our guests. This year vegetarian curry including roti, organic beef casserole and chicken for the white meat only eaters. Haloumi cake, spanakopita, bread (of course) and the usual dolmades, tzatziki, fetta, olives, salad. For desert (including port, coffee and tea) we serve tsoureki, kouranbries, koulourakia, fruit platter and ice cream. Galatobouriko.and baklava. Easter cake - usually chocolate cake with lots of cream decorated by the little ones with candy and chocolate eggs. If you go home hungry - it your own fault! Lots of take away containers on hand.

Reactions: cf_fraiser
This year Easter falls in Autumn (fall). We do things a bit different in our home. After our Easter prayer, we break our eggs and the feast begins. Kastellorizian pilafi and gemisi are a MUST at our Easter feast. We cater for all our guests. This year vegetarian curry including roti, organic beef casserole and chicken for the white meat only eaters. Haloumi cake, spanakopita, bread (of course) and the usual dolmades, tzatziki, fetta, olives, salad. For desert (including port, coffee and tea) we serve tsoureki, kouranbries, koulourakia, fruit platter and ice cream. Galatobouriko.and baklava. Easter cake - usually chocolate cake with lots of cream decorated by the little ones with candy and chocolate eggs. If you go home hungry - it your own fault! Lots of take away containers on hand.
Sounds so tasty!!

What do you usually serve for desserts at Greek Easter? I'm invited to a socially distanced Greek Easter gathering but I've never been to an easter party before, and I want to bring a dessert. Thanks

Koulourakia seems to be a dessert that is at all Greek Easter gatherings. There's a good recipe for that on the Food Section of greekboston.com . There are lots of different recipes out there. Once you try different ones, you'll come up with your own personal preference. It is very likely the hostess has already made some as that's one thing that can be made in advance. That being said, ANY dessert fits the bill if you're coming to our house! I often makes the likes of baklava, but I found that not necessary.

I love the traditional Greek desserts and cookies, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Koulourakia is the traditional Easter cookie. I am also a chocolate fiend so anything that features chocolate, even though it isn't traditionally Greek, has a special place in our dessert spread.

Iconic Greek Dishes to Try in Greece and at Home

I'm planning a trip to Greece soon and am incredibly excited about eating meals there. I also love to find Greek restaurants near where I love. I want to make sure I tru all the essentials!

Could you please share some recommendations on the must-try Greek dishes? Whether it's a classic main course, a delightful dessert, or a beloved street food, I'm eager to explore it all!

Greek Marinated Olives Recipe

I love to serve marinated Greek olives when I have people over. It's easy to do, and I change things each time. The amounts are for a big serving enough for company. I halve the recipe otherwise.
  • 2 cups mixed Greek olives (such as Kalamata, green, or black)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Lemon zest (optional)
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or basil)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the olives: Rinse the olives under cold water to remove excess brine. If the olives are very salty, you can soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine ingredients: In a bowl, combine the olives, sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes if using. Gently toss to coat the olives evenly with the marinade.
  3. Marinate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the olives and marinade to a sealable container. Let the olives marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Before serving, let the olives come to room temperature to allow the flavors to fully develop. Optionally, garnish with lemon zest and fresh herbs for extra freshness and aroma.

Salt Cod in Greek Cooking?

How is salt cod, or Bakaliaros, used in Greek cooking? I remember my grandmother using it and I forget for what...

Could anyone share what specific dishes in Greek cuisine feature salt cod as the key ingredient? How is it typically prepared and served in Greece? Are there any traditional recipes or unique cooking methods that highlight the flavor and texture of salt cod in Greek cooking? I know a lot of other cultures use it, too.

I believe understanding the culinary uses of salt cod in Greece could offer deeper insights into the country’s culture and traditions. Plus, it would be great to try and replicate some of these dishes at home!

How do you use Lemon in Greek cuisine?

I know that lemons are common in Greek cuisine. I cook Greek all the time, and I use lemons a lot!

What are some traditional Greek dishes that you use lemons for? I am curious what people do. I tend to make a lot of ladolemono and use it to marinate meats. I also use it as a garnish all the time for both meats and vegetables like spinach, asparagus, etc.

I had thought all Greeks use lemon a lot, but I went over someone's house (Greek) and they didn't seem as into it as my family is...

Greek Grilled Pita Bread - A Recipe

I love to grill - it's that time of year! I grilled some souvlaki the other day and decide to also make some pita bread. I had the dough all prepped. It came out great and tasted good with the souvlaki. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:​

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110°F)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions:​

1. Activate the Yeast:
    • In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir gently and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
  2. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
    • Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
    • Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until the dough starts to come together.
  3. Knead the Dough:
    • Transfer the dough onto a floured surface.
    • Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour as needed.
  4. First Rise:
    • Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to coat all sides with oil.
    • Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
  5. Shape the Pitas:
    • Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air.
    • Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
    • On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
  6. Second Rise:
    • Place the rolled-out dough circles on a lightly floured surface or baking sheet.
    • Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for about 20-30 minutes.
  7. Grill the Pitas:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
    • Place the pitas on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are puffed up and have nice grill marks.
    • If you prefer, you can also cook them in a cast-iron skillet or on a griddle over medium-high heat.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back