1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

I love grilling leg of lamb. Thought I'd share a recipe. I pretty much do this every time but I am at the point where I don't really need to think about it.

Ingredients:

1 leg of lamb
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 medium lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Extra lemon wedges, to serve

Instructions:

1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.

2. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, oregano, rosemary, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to make the marinade for the lamb.

3. Take the lamb leg and using a sharp knife, make horizontal slits into the meat, about 1 inch deep. Make sure not to pierce through the meat.

4. Pour the marinade over the lamb, rubbing into the slits and making sure it is evenly coated.

5. Allow the lamb to sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, though it is best if it is marinated for a few hours. The longer you marinate, the more time the lamb has to soak up all those delicious Greek flavors.

6. Once the lamb is marinated, place it onto the grill, and cook for 15 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (medium-rare).

7. Once the lamb is fully cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.

8. Serve the lamb with additional lemon wedges on the side to add a freshness and contrast of flavor. You can also add any other sides that you prefer, such as a Greek salad, roasted vegetables, or pita bread.

This looks delicious, but I don't tend to use rosemary. I end up marinating the leg of lamb in a ladolemono before cooking - either baking or grilling. I marinate it overnight. Here's my Ladolemono recipe (oil and lemon dressing):

- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

I shake it all up in a mason jar or run it through a food processor.

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Greek Souvlaki Marinade Recipe

Now that grilling season is upon us, I thought I would share my souvlaki marinade. I cut the meat in cubes and marinate in plastic bags overnight. I skewer them just before grilling.

Add to a mason jar:
  • 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Then I cover the mason jar and shake, add the meat to the bags, and pour it over. If I am making a huge batch I double the marinade.

Can you use frozen vegetables for Greek dishes?

There are two Greek dishes that I enjoy a lot and like to make a lot - fasolakia and the baked vegetables with the variety.

It's not always realistic for me to make them, though, because of the vegetable situation.

Is it okay to use frozen veggies? These are washed and chopped - they're basically ready to go - so it would save me a lot of time!

fasolakia-greek-food.jpg

Drinking Olive Oil: Health and Beauty Elixir or Celebrity Fad?

This will I hope generate a healthy discussion amongst the readership here!I have been drinking Pure Olive oil 0.3% Acidity (Not cheap!) for many years, not everyday as I alternate with Pure Organic Sesame oil and Organic first pressed Coconut oil as well....and I also forget to be honest even when all the bottles are staring at me!!😁😁... Since there are many members here I am interested to hear how many drink olive oil and the benefits to their wellbeing?!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and a heatwave no one can imagine for 5 months without a drop of rain!
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...Reporter+Daily+News+Simple&utm_term=Read+More

Greek Warm Weather Eating

With the warm weather approaching, I've been eager to explore more light and refreshing dishes. I'm particularly interested in Greek cuisine, which I know has a lot of great options perfect for sunny days.

Could anyone share their favorite Greek dishes to enjoy when the weather is warm? I'm looking for suggestions that are both delicious and easy to prepare. Any recipes or tips on where to find authentic ingredients would be greatly appreciated too!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back