1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

I love grilling leg of lamb. Thought I'd share a recipe. I pretty much do this every time but I am at the point where I don't really need to think about it.

Ingredients:

1 leg of lamb
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 medium lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Extra lemon wedges, to serve

Instructions:

1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.

2. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, oregano, rosemary, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to make the marinade for the lamb.

3. Take the lamb leg and using a sharp knife, make horizontal slits into the meat, about 1 inch deep. Make sure not to pierce through the meat.

4. Pour the marinade over the lamb, rubbing into the slits and making sure it is evenly coated.

5. Allow the lamb to sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, though it is best if it is marinated for a few hours. The longer you marinate, the more time the lamb has to soak up all those delicious Greek flavors.

6. Once the lamb is marinated, place it onto the grill, and cook for 15 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (medium-rare).

7. Once the lamb is fully cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.

8. Serve the lamb with additional lemon wedges on the side to add a freshness and contrast of flavor. You can also add any other sides that you prefer, such as a Greek salad, roasted vegetables, or pita bread.

This looks delicious, but I don't tend to use rosemary. I end up marinating the leg of lamb in a ladolemono before cooking - either baking or grilling. I marinate it overnight. Here's my Ladolemono recipe (oil and lemon dressing):

- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

I shake it all up in a mason jar or run it through a food processor.

Top herbal teas popular in Greece?

Could anyone share insights or recommendations on which herbal teas are the most popular or cherished in Greece? I'm particularly interested in teas that are unique to the region or have a special place in Greek culture and wellness practices.

Also, if you have any suggestions on where I might purchase these teas, especially if they're available online, that would be incredibly helpful! I'm eager to try making some of these teas at home and experiencing a taste of Greek herbal tradition.

Thank you in advance for your help! I’m looking forward to exploring your suggestions and hopefully discovering some new favorite teas.

Best Greek seafood dishes for summer grilling?

Summer is in full swing, and what better way to enjoy the season than firing up the grill? Which seafood dishes perfect for grilling. Greek cuisine's blend of fresh ingredients, herbs, and spices makes it an ideal choice for light, summery meals, and I'm eager to hear your recommendations.

Do you have favorite Greek seafood recipes or dishes that shine especially bright when cooked over an open flame? Whether it's a classic recipe or a personal twist on traditional fare,I know about things like grilled octopus marinated in olive oil and oregano to the simplicity of shrimp saganaki.

Additionally, if you have preparation tips, marinade secrets, or any advice on grilling seafood the Greek way, please share. Thanks so much!

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?

Greek Warm Weather Eating

With the warm weather approaching, I've been eager to explore more light and refreshing dishes. I'm particularly interested in Greek cuisine, which I know has a lot of great options perfect for sunny days.

Could anyone share their favorite Greek dishes to enjoy when the weather is warm? I'm looking for suggestions that are both delicious and easy to prepare. Any recipes or tips on where to find authentic ingredients would be greatly appreciated too!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back