1 - 7 of 7 Posts

redsoxdw_

I'm going to a Greek baptism this summer in Athens and I was wondering how much money is normal for a baptism gift. I've been to many baptisms before but my family is Catholic so I don't know how Greek baptisms are different.

It really depends on how close you are to the family and the child, and how much money you're comfortable gifting. Definitely don't give them more than you can, and don't skimp out either. It's a delicate balance. It might be a good idea to ask some of the other guests who are very close to you and you asking wouldn't seem inappropriate or taboo.

Greek Orthodox baptisms are like mini weddings so I say use the same rule of thumb as you do for a wedding.
Where is it being held (expensive hall?) and how close you are to the family.

Reactions: paharo45
If you feel hesitant that you won't be able to afford a really big amount of money, you could also try buying an item. This way it can be a bit more meaningful, and it's a really kind gesture. Look for any sales to try and get the most bang for your buck.

Traditionally in Greece many of the guests don’t give money but may buy an outfit from a retail store for the baby. I baptized both my children there and was given clothes and a few people gave me leather binded albums for baptism pictures. Good luck!

As a general guideline for *myself,* I try to give enough to at least cover the cost of what I’m going to eat and drink at the event. Just think about what you would spend at a restaurant for a similar type of meal and atmosphere, and it makes it easier to come up with an amount. But no one expects you to exceed your budget. A struggling student should feel comfortable giving a small €10 gift, but a middle aged person of comfortable means might give €50-€100, and a close family member might spend even more if they want. Go with your instinct. I will say I have never regretted erring on the side of generosity.

For me, my gift choice depends on whether they had a baby shower that I went to or not. If I did go to the shower, I would usually give money, maybe at least $50, but it all depends on what is happening after the Christening...Christening-Gifts-720x476.jpg

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Getting a Greek costume made?

I'm looking to have a traditional Greek costume made, and I want to ensure that it is as authentic and high-quality as possible.

It's for festival season but I don't know if I am in over my head. This could be anything from the iconic fustanella worn by men to the beautifully embroidered dresses seen in various regions across Greece. I’m open to suggestions on materials, designs, and specific regional styles that would make for a remarkable and authentic piece.

Could anyone here recommend a tailor or a shop—either within Greece or internationally—that specializes in creating traditional Greek clothing? It’s essential that they pay great attention to detail and use high-quality materials to capture the spirit and beauty of Greek traditional attire.

Additionally, if you have any advice on what specifics I should communicate to the tailor to ensure authenticity, or if you know of any resources where I could find patterns or detailed descriptions of traditional costumes, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Appropriate clothing for Holy Week services?

I was going to wear a floral dress to the service on Good Friday - I pretty much always do - and someone made a comment that they didn't think it's appropriate because it is a service of mourning.

You know, I guess that makes sense - but I haven't that much of it. What are your thoughts on it? I ended up choosing an outfit that looked a little more somber.

I am curious about the best things to wear through Holy Week! I am assuming the really spring-like colors are best on Pascha?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back