1 - 10 of 10 Posts

seleanor

I don't mean to be controversial here...but I'm curious about the origins of baklava. I've heard a lot of debate, does anyone know where it comes from?

baklava2.jpg

It's complicated! People from many different cultures and countries eat baklava. Since many people enjoy it, I would say why can't it be both?

Reactions: d_kakavouli
I don't mean to be controversial here...but I'm curious about the origins of baklava. I've heard a lot of debate, does anyone know where it comes from?

View attachment 199
Greeks lived a very long time in todays turkish territory and Greece was occupied by the ottomans for 400 years. I think is it very difficult to say from which part things come from. On my first trip to Greece (1973), coffee was called turkish coffee. Today you should not order
it with this name. Why don't you just enjoy it and hope this two countries can live in peace one day.

It's complicated. Phyllo originated in Greece in the 3rd Century BC. There is a similar dessert in Ancient Greece that has the same filing but uses a different dough. Many believe that the dish itself came from the Byzantine Empire. The word baklava has Turkish origins, but that doesn't mean that the dessert wasn't Byzantine or Greek first, and then reabsorbed into he Greek Culture through the Turkish name for it (because of Ottoman occupation). Some credit the Syrians or Egyptians for making it first. It is popular throughout the Mediterranean and its origin hasn't been well documented, so all we can do is guess. I am Greek so I vote Greek, though!

Reactions: d_kakavouli
Greeks lived a very long time in todays turkish territory and Greece was occupied by the ottomans for 400 years. I think is it very difficult to say from which part things come from. On my first trip to Greece (1973), coffee was called turkish coffee. Today you should not order
it with this name. Why don't you just enjoy it and hope this two countries can live in peace one day.
I had no idea that once upon a time they called in Turkish coffee in Greece too!

Is it Greek or Turkish? If it comes to that choice, it is Greek, for the simple reason that filo pastry was known and made in Ancient Greece. What else did they have in Ancient Greece? They had honey and they had almonds and walnuts. And that was a long time before the Turks arrived on the scene. Now, whether the Greeks actually invented baklava or borrowed it from an earlier culture...who knows? Also we should remember that Arab pirates raided the Dodecanese islands from the 7th century (?) AD onwards and as well as looting they would have abducted Greek women and taken them off to their lands. This is one way ideas and skills are promulgated.

Last edited:
Neither Greek nor Turkish. It's coming from Arabs.

Reactions: blopez34
Turks invented it, Greeks perfected it😉
All kidding aside, every country adds their own spin to it, it all tastes delicious!

Turks invented it, Greeks perfected it😉
All kidding aside, every country adds their own spin to it, it all tastes delicious!
I love tasting the different versions! That's the beauty of baklava

Greek Marinated Olives Recipe

I love to serve marinated Greek olives when I have people over. It's easy to do, and I change things each time. The amounts are for a big serving enough for company. I halve the recipe otherwise.
  • 2 cups mixed Greek olives (such as Kalamata, green, or black)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Lemon zest (optional)
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or basil)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the olives: Rinse the olives under cold water to remove excess brine. If the olives are very salty, you can soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine ingredients: In a bowl, combine the olives, sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes if using. Gently toss to coat the olives evenly with the marinade.
  3. Marinate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the olives and marinade to a sealable container. Let the olives marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Before serving, let the olives come to room temperature to allow the flavors to fully develop. Optionally, garnish with lemon zest and fresh herbs for extra freshness and aroma.

Salt Cod in Greek Cooking?

How is salt cod, or Bakaliaros, used in Greek cooking? I remember my grandmother using it and I forget for what...

Could anyone share what specific dishes in Greek cuisine feature salt cod as the key ingredient? How is it typically prepared and served in Greece? Are there any traditional recipes or unique cooking methods that highlight the flavor and texture of salt cod in Greek cooking? I know a lot of other cultures use it, too.

I believe understanding the culinary uses of salt cod in Greece could offer deeper insights into the country’s culture and traditions. Plus, it would be great to try and replicate some of these dishes at home!

Greek Souvlaki Marinade Recipe

Now that grilling season is upon us, I thought I would share my souvlaki marinade. I cut the meat in cubes and marinate in plastic bags overnight. I skewer them just before grilling.

Add to a mason jar:
  • 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Then I cover the mason jar and shake, add the meat to the bags, and pour it over. If I am making a huge batch I double the marinade.

Drinking Olive Oil: Health and Beauty Elixir or Celebrity Fad?

This will I hope generate a healthy discussion amongst the readership here!I have been drinking Pure Olive oil 0.3% Acidity (Not cheap!) for many years, not everyday as I alternate with Pure Organic Sesame oil and Organic first pressed Coconut oil as well....and I also forget to be honest even when all the bottles are staring at me!!😁😁... Since there are many members here I am interested to hear how many drink olive oil and the benefits to their wellbeing?!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and a heatwave no one can imagine for 5 months without a drop of rain!
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...Reporter+Daily+News+Simple&utm_term=Read+More

Greek Warm Weather Eating

With the warm weather approaching, I've been eager to explore more light and refreshing dishes. I'm particularly interested in Greek cuisine, which I know has a lot of great options perfect for sunny days.

Could anyone share their favorite Greek dishes to enjoy when the weather is warm? I'm looking for suggestions that are both delicious and easy to prepare. Any recipes or tips on where to find authentic ingredients would be greatly appreciated too!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back