1 - 3 of 3 Posts

ssherie_

It's the time of year for Stifado! I thought I would share my recipe. I do a lot of different things with it- using different meats, etc. I would love to hear how you guys make it!

- 2 pounds of beef or rabbit, cut into chunks - I only occasionally use lamb but don't really like it.
- 2 pounds of small onions, peeled
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 1 cup of beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil

Instructions:

1. Before you start, make sure to prepare the onions by peeling them and leaving them whole. This is essential for the texture of the dish.

2. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.

3. Once the oil is hot, add the meat and brown it evenly on all sides. This will take about 5-7 minutes.

4. Remove the meat from the pot and set it aside.

5. Next, add the onions to the pot and cook them for 4-5 minutes until they start to soften and caramelize. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

6. Add the tomato paste and stir until it's well combined with the onions.

7. Pour in the red wine and beef broth, and stir to combine.

8. Return the meat to the pot, along with the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, dried oregano, and thyme.

9. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

10. Bring the stew to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it cook for about 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

11. By the end of the cooking time, the meat should be tender and the onions should be almost meltingly soft.

12. Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning as necessary. If the sauce is too thin, you can thicken it up by mixing a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water, then pouring it into the stew and stirring to combine.

13. Serve hot with crusty bread, or over rice, pasta, or potatoes.

Stifado is truly one of my favorites. This is similar to how my family makes it, but we rarely have access to rabbit so I usually cook it with beef. I either chop an onion, or I use those round, small onion sit I can find them. If I find them fresh, I peel them and maybe halve them, but for the most part I just use a regular onion.

Oh it’s definitely stifado season. When I was growing up stifado was a dish made for festive occasions and usually made with rabbit. Now a days rabbit is not the preferred meat use for stifado, but beef is and it come out aaaamazing. Cool it loooow and sloooow and your stifado will come out “loukoumi”

Drinking Olive Oil: Health and Beauty Elixir or Celebrity Fad?

This will I hope generate a healthy discussion amongst the readership here!I have been drinking Pure Olive oil 0.3% Acidity (Not cheap!) for many years, not everyday as I alternate with Pure Organic Sesame oil and Organic first pressed Coconut oil as well....and I also forget to be honest even when all the bottles are staring at me!!😁😁... Since there are many members here I am interested to hear how many drink olive oil and the benefits to their wellbeing?!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and a heatwave no one can imagine for 5 months without a drop of rain!
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...Reporter+Daily+News+Simple&utm_term=Read+More

Greek Warm Weather Eating

With the warm weather approaching, I've been eager to explore more light and refreshing dishes. I'm particularly interested in Greek cuisine, which I know has a lot of great options perfect for sunny days.

Could anyone share their favorite Greek dishes to enjoy when the weather is warm? I'm looking for suggestions that are both delicious and easy to prepare. Any recipes or tips on where to find authentic ingredients would be greatly appreciated too!

Creative ideas for Easter lamb leftovers?

We cooked too much Easter lamb than we needed and have a ton leftover. I am sure I am not the only one! I am brainstorming ways to use the leftovers. Do you guys have anything to add?

1. Gyros with lamb (Tzatziki and all the trimmings!)
2. Lamb sandwiches
3. Stir fries
4. Lamb in rice and tomato sauce
5. Wraps
6. Omelets and scrambles (think steak and eggs, but with Greek flavors and of course lamb instead of steak)

grilled-lamb-chops.jpg

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Can you use frozen vegetables for Greek dishes?

There are two Greek dishes that I enjoy a lot and like to make a lot - fasolakia and the baked vegetables with the variety.

It's not always realistic for me to make them, though, because of the vegetable situation.

Is it okay to use frozen veggies? These are washed and chopped - they're basically ready to go - so it would save me a lot of time!

fasolakia-greek-food.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back