1 - 7 of 7 Posts

paharo45

Does anyone have a really good marinade for lamb? I really wanna try it out for easter but I'm a little bit intimidated not gonna lie. I want to make it in the oven with potatoes like this:

greek-lamb-recipe-720x480.jpg

Reactions: greek_ggirl
The classic marinade is garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and a little bit of lemon. I would be pretty heavy handed with the spices, especially if its for a big piece of lamb.

Reactions: dubai_suzie
I always cook my lamb in parchment paper to keep the juices in! The slower it cooks the better the flavor is

I make a marinade with plenty of fresh lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. I brush it on the meat and let it sit overnight. The day of cooking, I brush the mixture on the lamb every thirty minutes or so while it is cooking. This marinade works whether you bake, grill, or roast it on a spit.

Reactions: mastichas09
What I do for my leg of Lamb is cut slits and stuff it with cloves of garlic, Greek Seasoning Cavender's, fresh greek oregano , black ground pepper, I don't salt because Greek Seasoning has enough in it. Then after I rub the leg of lamb with Olive oil and herbs and fresh Lemon Juice. Let Lamb marinate until the next day. Now be sure and take the Leg out and let it sit on the counter until room temperature before roasting or putting it on the grill. Cook until the internal temperature of the leg of lamb is 145 or 165 if you prefer. Serve with Greek potatoes and greek salad.

Reactions: mastichas09
What I do for my leg of Lamb is cut slits and stuff it with cloves of garlic, Greek Seasoning Cavender's, fresh greek oregano , black ground pepper, I don't salt because Greek Seasoning has enough in it. Then after I rub the leg of lamb with Olive oil and herbs and fresh Lemon Juice. Let Lamb marinate until the next day. Now be sure and take the Leg out and let it sit on the counter until room temperature before roasting or putting it on the grill. Cook until the internal temperature of the leg of lamb is 145 or 165 if you prefer. Serve with Greek potatoes and greek salad.
I've always seen this seasoning around but I've never actually tried it! I wasn't sure if it was authentically Greek or not. What is the flavour like?

I make the marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, Cavenders Greek seasoning and fresh rosemary. To prep the leg of lamb I debone the leg and place all the ingredients in a plastic bag for 1-2 days. To cook lamb I lay the leg out flat like a steak on the grill and cook until med-rare. We usually serve with salad, rice and greek string beans Cooked in a little olive oil, garlic and diced tomatoes. When cooking the rice I use olive oil to coat and then add a tablespoon of tomato paste.

Greek Marinated Olives Recipe

I love to serve marinated Greek olives when I have people over. It's easy to do, and I change things each time. The amounts are for a big serving enough for company. I halve the recipe otherwise.
  • 2 cups mixed Greek olives (such as Kalamata, green, or black)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Lemon zest (optional)
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or basil)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the olives: Rinse the olives under cold water to remove excess brine. If the olives are very salty, you can soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine ingredients: In a bowl, combine the olives, sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes if using. Gently toss to coat the olives evenly with the marinade.
  3. Marinate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the olives and marinade to a sealable container. Let the olives marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Before serving, let the olives come to room temperature to allow the flavors to fully develop. Optionally, garnish with lemon zest and fresh herbs for extra freshness and aroma.

Top herbal teas popular in Greece?

Could anyone share insights or recommendations on which herbal teas are the most popular or cherished in Greece? I'm particularly interested in teas that are unique to the region or have a special place in Greek culture and wellness practices.

Also, if you have any suggestions on where I might purchase these teas, especially if they're available online, that would be incredibly helpful! I'm eager to try making some of these teas at home and experiencing a taste of Greek herbal tradition.

Thank you in advance for your help! I’m looking forward to exploring your suggestions and hopefully discovering some new favorite teas.

What foods go best with ouzo?

I am curious - what goods go best with Ouzo? Traditionally, I don't actually pay attention.

From my understanding, Ouzo is traditionally enjoyed with small plates, similar to tapas, known as "mezedes" in Greece. Yet, I’m eager to hear from those who have either traveled to Greece or have an in-depth knowledge of Greek cuisine about what specific dishes you think would pair best with Ouzo. Are there specific flavors or types of dishes (seafood, meats, vegetables) that enhance the experience of sipping Ouzo?

Creative ideas for Easter lamb leftovers?

We cooked too much Easter lamb than we needed and have a ton leftover. I am sure I am not the only one! I am brainstorming ways to use the leftovers. Do you guys have anything to add?

1. Gyros with lamb (Tzatziki and all the trimmings!)
2. Lamb sandwiches
3. Stir fries
4. Lamb in rice and tomato sauce
5. Wraps
6. Omelets and scrambles (think steak and eggs, but with Greek flavors and of course lamb instead of steak)

grilled-lamb-chops.jpg

Tips to Prevent Phyllo from Drying Out?

I am not new with working with phyllo.

Lately, and I don't know why, the phyllo has been during out as I work with it. It's always store bought phyllo and it may be another brand than what I normally use, but I don't see how that could possibly make a difference.e Perhaps I am working slower. Maybe my kitchen is dryer.

All I know is that I would love some tips on how to prevent the phyllo from drying out! I asked around and people say to keep a wet towel over it. I tried that and the phyllo stuck to the towel so I am obviously missing an important detail.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back