1 - 7 of 7 Posts

paharo45

Does anyone have a really good marinade for lamb? I really wanna try it out for easter but I'm a little bit intimidated not gonna lie. I want to make it in the oven with potatoes like this:

greek-lamb-recipe-720x480.jpg

Reactions: greek_ggirl
The classic marinade is garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and a little bit of lemon. I would be pretty heavy handed with the spices, especially if its for a big piece of lamb.

Reactions: dubai_suzie
I always cook my lamb in parchment paper to keep the juices in! The slower it cooks the better the flavor is

I make a marinade with plenty of fresh lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. I brush it on the meat and let it sit overnight. The day of cooking, I brush the mixture on the lamb every thirty minutes or so while it is cooking. This marinade works whether you bake, grill, or roast it on a spit.

Reactions: mastichas09
What I do for my leg of Lamb is cut slits and stuff it with cloves of garlic, Greek Seasoning Cavender's, fresh greek oregano , black ground pepper, I don't salt because Greek Seasoning has enough in it. Then after I rub the leg of lamb with Olive oil and herbs and fresh Lemon Juice. Let Lamb marinate until the next day. Now be sure and take the Leg out and let it sit on the counter until room temperature before roasting or putting it on the grill. Cook until the internal temperature of the leg of lamb is 145 or 165 if you prefer. Serve with Greek potatoes and greek salad.

Reactions: mastichas09
What I do for my leg of Lamb is cut slits and stuff it with cloves of garlic, Greek Seasoning Cavender's, fresh greek oregano , black ground pepper, I don't salt because Greek Seasoning has enough in it. Then after I rub the leg of lamb with Olive oil and herbs and fresh Lemon Juice. Let Lamb marinate until the next day. Now be sure and take the Leg out and let it sit on the counter until room temperature before roasting or putting it on the grill. Cook until the internal temperature of the leg of lamb is 145 or 165 if you prefer. Serve with Greek potatoes and greek salad.
I've always seen this seasoning around but I've never actually tried it! I wasn't sure if it was authentically Greek or not. What is the flavour like?

I make the marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, Cavenders Greek seasoning and fresh rosemary. To prep the leg of lamb I debone the leg and place all the ingredients in a plastic bag for 1-2 days. To cook lamb I lay the leg out flat like a steak on the grill and cook until med-rare. We usually serve with salad, rice and greek string beans Cooked in a little olive oil, garlic and diced tomatoes. When cooking the rice I use olive oil to coat and then add a tablespoon of tomato paste.

Favorite Greek comfort foods?

I'm curious to know: what are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

Personally, I've heard a lot about moussaka and spanakopita, but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. Do you have any recommendations or recipes for these dishes? Or perhaps there are other less-known but equally delicious Greek comfort foods I should be aware of?

Looking forward to hearing your favorites and any tips you have for making or finding these comforting dishes!

What makes Greek yogurt so special?

I've recently started seeing Greek yogurt everywhere—from grocery store aisles to recipes and even fitness blogs. It seems like it's become a major trend, but I'm curious to know more about it. What makes Greek yogurt so special compared to regular yogurt? Does it really offer more nutritional benefits, or is it just a fad?

I’ve heard it has a thicker texture and is higher in protein, but I’d love to hear from people who regularly consume it or have done their own research. Are there particular brands you recommend? Any specific health benefits or potential downsides I should be aware of?

Greek Yogurt Pasta Recipe

I thought I would share a recipe for Greek yogurt pasta. I had it in a cafe in Greece once and have been making something similar ever since.

Ingredients

• 8 oz (225g) pasta of your choice (e.g., penne, spaghetti, fusilli)
  • 1 cup (240g) Greek yogurt (plain, full-fat for creaminess)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lemon (juice and zest)
  • 1/4 cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup (30g) crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) pasta cooking water
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Fresh parsley or basil leaves for garnish (optional)
  • Cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
  • Baby spinach leaves (optional)
Instructions

Cook the Pasta
:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente.

Reserve 1/4 cup (60ml) of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta.

Prepare the Sauce:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix well.

Add the grated Parmesan cheese, crumbled feta cheese, olive oil, dried oregano, and dried basil. Stir until well combined.

Combine Pasta and Sauce:

Add the cooked pasta to the bowl with the sauce. Toss to coat the pasta evenly.

If the sauce is too thick, gradually add the reserved pasta cooking water until you reach your desired consistency.

Season and Garnish:

Taste the pasta and season with salt and black pepper to your liking.

For an extra touch of freshness, toss in some halved cherry tomatoes and baby spinach leaves.

Garnish with fresh parsley or basil leaves, if desired.

Baklava Syrup with Orange

I thought I'd share this fun fact. My family makes baklava syrup with oranges and I love the flavor! To me, the orange mixed with cinnamon sticks smells like Christmas. My family would always make this around Christmastime.

• 1 cup (240 ml) water
  • 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (240 ml) honey
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest (from one medium orange)
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice (from 1-2 medium oranges)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3-4 whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
I really just bring the ingredients to a boil and simmer it until it gets as thick as I needed it. You turn it off and let it cool on the stove completely before putting it on the baklava. And you have to put it on the baklava right after it comes out of the oven!

baklava.jpg

Best Greek seafood dishes for summer grilling?

Summer is in full swing, and what better way to enjoy the season than firing up the grill? Which seafood dishes perfect for grilling. Greek cuisine's blend of fresh ingredients, herbs, and spices makes it an ideal choice for light, summery meals, and I'm eager to hear your recommendations.

Do you have favorite Greek seafood recipes or dishes that shine especially bright when cooked over an open flame? Whether it's a classic recipe or a personal twist on traditional fare,I know about things like grilled octopus marinated in olive oil and oregano to the simplicity of shrimp saganaki.

Additionally, if you have preparation tips, marinade secrets, or any advice on grilling seafood the Greek way, please share. Thanks so much!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back