1 - 5 of 5 Posts

auroracoor1

I noticed that there is a taverna culture of "gaming". I see tavli played all the time. Are there other games people play?

I am wondering if people play chess, checkers, that kind of thing? What about physical games like bocci like they play a lot in Italy? I have seen this game in Switzerland and other places, too, and wonder if the Greeks also play it.

Also, what do kids play for games in Greece?

People do play chess, checkers, I have also seen bocci if there was enough space... I also don't always see people playing games, too. There is ALWAYS a tavli player.

Tavli is definitely a popular game in the taverna culture, but there are also many other games played in Greece as well. For example, there's a card game called "Ξερή" (Xeri) which is similar to the game of Poker, and another one called "Πριμοστίχοι" (Primosticho) which is a trick-taking game.

As for physical games, I'm not sure about bocci specifically, but there is a game called "Καβάνα" (Kavana) which is similar to horseshoes, where players try to throw metal rings onto a target.

Have you heard about the blackout bingo scam that's been going around? It's important to be vigilant and aware of these types of scams, no matter where we are in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: d_kakavouli
Tavli is indeed a popular choice, and you might also find Greeks enjoying classics like chess and checkers. Physical games like bocce might be less common, but it's possible you'll come across them too.
As for kids, they often have their own set of games. In Greece, you might see kids playing traditional outdoor games like tag, hide and seek, and variations of catch. It's a wonderful way for them to stay active and have fun.
By the way, if you're curious about trying out a unique gaming experience, you might want to check out the Solitaire Cash app. It's a modern twist on the classic card game and offers a chance to win while playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: d_kakavouli
I always wanted to learn both Tavli and Bocce. The only one I know how to play is checkers! Might be worth learning ahead of my next Greek trip.

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Summer Festivals in Greece?

With the warm weather approaching, I've been eager to explore more light and refreshing dishes. I'm particularly interested in Greek cuisine, which I know has a lot of great options perfect for sunny days.

Could anyone share their favorite Greek dishes to enjoy when the weather is warm? I'm looking for suggestions that are both delicious and easy to prepare. Any recipes or tips on where to find authentic ingredients would be greatly appreciated too!

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back