1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

I haven't heard too many news of pickpocketers in Greece these days... is it still a thing? Has anyone been pickpocketed recently?

Reactions: Hash
Hell yea there are!

My wife is in Greece visiting her parents and she stopped someone from trying to steal her mom's wallet just the other day. There was a huge scene because a man, who just stopped the pickpocket from getting his wife, spotted the picpocket trying to get my wife's mom.

She also saw something happen in Omonia with some tourists. She wasn't sure what exactly happened, but she believe a tourist was just pickpocketed there.

The sad thing is that gypsies send their kids out to pickpocket and steal from people/stores. Pickpocketing in Greece will always be a problem because tourists are easy targets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hash
This is certainly true in Greece, especially ion the larger cities and tourist areas (Athens, Mykonos and Santorini, etc).

Here are some tips to help protect yourself from being pickpocketed or mugged in Greece:

1. Go in larger groups (not by yourself) in areas that have nightclubs and bars in the early mornings (when clubs let out it is morning).
2. If you carry a bag or purse, make sure to have the strap around your body with bag in front of you (not in your back) and make sure the bag does not have very small straps that can be cut.
3. Keep your nice jewelry or watches at the hotel locked up when going shopping with massive crowds of tourists.
4. Always keep your cash and credit cards separate (I recommend putting some catch in your sock or shoe).
5. When you shop don't take out tons of cash to not make it visible, only the money to pay for what you are buying (if cash or use credit cards).

I am sure there are plenty of other ways to protect yourself from being pickpocketed in Greece, but these are some of the big things that come to mind!

Thanks for the great question!!

Beware of heavily-touristed areas and the Metro, especially if you are “juggling” luggage or are exiting anywhere around Omonia Square. It is not Greeks who are doing this, but as with any major city - it happens.

Yes tourists are always being targeted, be aware and make sure your valuables are tucked away

I have heard stories of people getting their pockets picked while in Greece. Mostly, the people who got their stuff stolen, they simply weren't paying attention to their belongings. Meaning, in one instance someone had his wallet in his back pocket on a crowded subway... This was a preventable theft! He should have put his wallet in your front pocket, and laid his hand over the pocket, and the likelihood of it getting stolen would have gone way, way down. Petty thieves want an easy grab. Don't become the easy grab!

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back