1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dimi_pat

I love making my own cretan style homemade phyllo :) it's so flaky and way better than store bought phyllo in my opinion

Here's the recipe
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more if needed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup Cretan raki or vodka
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2/3 cup water

Reactions: Hash and redsoxdw_
Thanks for sharing!! I might try it out soon because I usually buy the store bought one

I love making my own cretan style homemade phyllo :) it's so flaky and way better than store bought phyllo in my opinion

Here's the recipe
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more if needed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup Cretan raki or vodka
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2/3 cup water

Interesting how there is Vodka or Raki in this. What is the texture of it? Is it more like a pie crust or s it like store bought Phyllo?

Reactions: Hash

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

Getting souvlaki tender?

How do you make tender Greek souvlaki? I've attempted various recipes, marinated for different durations, and experimented with both high and low cooking temps, but I seem to be missing the mark for that mouth-watering tenderness commonly found in authentic Greek souvlaki.

Has anyone found a particular method or ingredient that makes a significant difference in achieving that ideal tenderness?

I use ladolemono, a marinate it overnight in ziplock baggies (after I cut the meat in cubes) and then I add them to the skewers and cook them on the grill. I typically use chicken.

Can you make your own rusks?

I love Cretan Dakos!
There's something about the combination of the crunchy rusk soaked with the juice of ripe tomatoes, topped with fresh cheese and olive oil, that has me hooked!

However, given that I live in an area where it's challenging to find authentic Cretan rusks, I'm contemplating on whether I can bake my own at home. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make rusks suitable for dakos from scratch.

I know I can order then online. I tried this, and they didn't survive the shipping too well.

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back