1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

Many areas of Greece are lit up during Christmas time, especially Athens! One of my favorite parts of Greece is the Christmas cheer and spirit during these times. Its so special because the Untied States is so commercialized during the Christmas time that so much of the meaning is lost, especially the spiritual aspects. The same goes for any religious holiday.

Never been to Greece at Christmas time, but it is on the to do list for sure!! :)🇬🇷🇬🇷

I have never been to Greece during Christmas, either, and it looks absolutely stunning. It only really occurs to me to go to Greece during the warmer months. Wow! It is all lit up!

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

List of Interesting Places to Visit in Greece

I thought I would make a list of some great places in Greece. Some I've visited, some I'd like to visit. Any recommendations on what I should add to the list? Thanks!

1. Athens: Athens provides the perfect contrast to the beautiful island vibe of Greece. Athens is the capital city of Greece and boasts of enthralling ancient history. Athens indeed is a treasure trove of history, and it's a must-visit. You don't want to miss the world-famous Acropolis, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the National Archaeological Museum.

2. Santorini: If you're after stunning views and indulging in luxury, Santorini should be your next destination. Known for the iconic blue domes, Santorini is a volcanic island that provides a picturesque view of the sunset over the sea. It's an ideal destination for lovers and honeymooners to indulge in the island's romantic atmosphere.

3. Crete: Crete is the largest Greek Island full of culture, history, and food. The Island is famous for its beaches, nightlife, and delicious food. You can experience Greek hospitality at its finest, as Cretans are some of the friendliest people you'll meet.

4. Mykonos: Mykonos is a small island, but it's known for its vibrant nightlife, stunning beaches, and white-washed buildings. If you love partying and clubbing, then Mykonos is a place you should definitely tick off your bucket list. Don't miss experiencing the hazy atmosphere into the early hours of the morning.

5. Meteora: Meteora is a UNESCO world heritage site located in the northern region of Greece. It's known for the incredible rock formations and breathtaking monasteries that sit atop the rocks. If you're looking for a spiritual and serene experience, Meteora should be your top priority.

6. Delphi: Delphi is another significant cultural site located in Greece and is often called the center of the earth. It was once known as the navel of the world and holds great importance in Greek culture and history.

7. Rhodes: Rhodes is an exquisite island in Greece that is rich with history and charm. Known for its ancient history, Rhodes offers a picturesque view of rugged terrain that stands tall against the coastline.

8. Naxos: Less crowded than its neighboring islands, Naxos is a beautiful island that offers something for everyone. From crystal clear water to beautiful sandy beaches and a mild climate, it's a perfect location to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the world.

9. Corfu: Located in the Ionian Sea, Corfu is one of the greenest places in all of Greece. Corfu offers a relaxing atmosphere, and it's the perfect location to take a step back from the busy life and just enjoy the stunning view.

10. Hydra: If you're looking for a unique experience, Hydra should be on your list of places to visit in Greece. One of the most peaceful islands in Greece, Hydra is free of cars, and its unique bohemian vibe, stunning architecture, and tranquil surroundings make it a perfect destination.

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Itinerary for self-planned yacht trip through the Greek islands

I am working on planning a yacht trip through Greece. I live it because I am in total control of the itinerary and what goes on, unlike booking a cruise or something. There's enough of us in the group to make this a super affordable trip.

I am developing am itinerary - thought I'd run it by you:

1. Athens to Mykonos: Begin in the historic port of Athens and make your way to the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos. Dock at Agios Ioannis beach and take a stroll through Little Venice.
  2. Mykonos to Naxos: Naxos awaits, with its marble gateway to nowhere and beautiful beaches. Try the local kitron liqueur for a true taste of the island.
  3. Santorini: Sail to the iconic island of Santorini, where the sunset from Oia is second to none. Enjoy a swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and taste some of the best wines in Greece.
  4. Ios to Folegandros: Keep the vibes high in Ios known for its lively atmosphere, then find tranquility in Folegandros, where the untouched Mediterranean prevails.
  5. Return to Athens: Wrap up your adventure with a pitstop in Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. Its charm lies in its austere yet handsome neoclassical buildings and the stunning Aegean views.

What do you think? Anything to add or subtract? I have about 10 days.

yacht-greece.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back