1 - 9 of 9 Posts

redsoxdw_

Sarakiniko beach is probably one of the most stunning ones that I’ve ever been to. I went two summers ago, and from what I’ve heard Milos is becoming more and more popular by the month. I absolutely love this island, especially this beach. It’s a great spot to view the sunset and take photos. I definitely recommend it!

C1740A01-A232-4532-A673-70C8B5DBBDD3.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Vangelis
Thanks for the suggestion! I plan to go next year.

Reactions: dimi_pat
Thanks for the suggestion! I plan to go next year.
Be aware that Milos is super booked up! They’re having a hard time managing the new influx of tourists. We had a hard time finding a place to eat and a car to rent 😅

Reactions: Vangelis
Sarakiniko beach is probably one of the most stunning ones that I’ve ever been to. I went two summers ago, and from what I’ve heard Milos is becoming more and more popular by the month. I absolutely love this island, especially this beach. It’s a great spot to view the sunset and take photos. I definitely recommend it!

View attachment 1058
Stunning beach,where can you rent near the beach and are there areas where there are lounge chairs for rent?

This beach looks intriguing! I will have to check it out. Many beaches in Greece are beautiful but it looks like this beach is at the top.

Milos in general looks amazing. I have actually never been. When I do go, I will be sure to go to this beach!

From what I understand, Milos is really close to Santorini. Next time I am in that area I will have to be sure to visit this beach. Thanks for the tip!

View attachment 1058

Holy cow I thought it was snow and had to look at what people were wearing!! Beautiful! I have to say I am always amazed at the rock formations in Greece, they are stunning.

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

List of Interesting Places to Visit in Greece

I thought I would make a list of some great places in Greece. Some I've visited, some I'd like to visit. Any recommendations on what I should add to the list? Thanks!

1. Athens: Athens provides the perfect contrast to the beautiful island vibe of Greece. Athens is the capital city of Greece and boasts of enthralling ancient history. Athens indeed is a treasure trove of history, and it's a must-visit. You don't want to miss the world-famous Acropolis, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the National Archaeological Museum.

2. Santorini: If you're after stunning views and indulging in luxury, Santorini should be your next destination. Known for the iconic blue domes, Santorini is a volcanic island that provides a picturesque view of the sunset over the sea. It's an ideal destination for lovers and honeymooners to indulge in the island's romantic atmosphere.

3. Crete: Crete is the largest Greek Island full of culture, history, and food. The Island is famous for its beaches, nightlife, and delicious food. You can experience Greek hospitality at its finest, as Cretans are some of the friendliest people you'll meet.

4. Mykonos: Mykonos is a small island, but it's known for its vibrant nightlife, stunning beaches, and white-washed buildings. If you love partying and clubbing, then Mykonos is a place you should definitely tick off your bucket list. Don't miss experiencing the hazy atmosphere into the early hours of the morning.

5. Meteora: Meteora is a UNESCO world heritage site located in the northern region of Greece. It's known for the incredible rock formations and breathtaking monasteries that sit atop the rocks. If you're looking for a spiritual and serene experience, Meteora should be your top priority.

6. Delphi: Delphi is another significant cultural site located in Greece and is often called the center of the earth. It was once known as the navel of the world and holds great importance in Greek culture and history.

7. Rhodes: Rhodes is an exquisite island in Greece that is rich with history and charm. Known for its ancient history, Rhodes offers a picturesque view of rugged terrain that stands tall against the coastline.

8. Naxos: Less crowded than its neighboring islands, Naxos is a beautiful island that offers something for everyone. From crystal clear water to beautiful sandy beaches and a mild climate, it's a perfect location to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the world.

9. Corfu: Located in the Ionian Sea, Corfu is one of the greenest places in all of Greece. Corfu offers a relaxing atmosphere, and it's the perfect location to take a step back from the busy life and just enjoy the stunning view.

10. Hydra: If you're looking for a unique experience, Hydra should be on your list of places to visit in Greece. One of the most peaceful islands in Greece, Hydra is free of cars, and its unique bohemian vibe, stunning architecture, and tranquil surroundings make it a perfect destination.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back