1 - 2 of 2 Posts

knicks_fan87

Athens has some of the best street art in the whole world! The artists have so much passion and always showcases the history of Greece or some of the current struggles that are happening. Taking note and paying attention to the graffiti and street art is one of the best ways to get a pulse of the city. Athens has a really big student and artist community and they use the buildings and architecture as their canvas. Here is a guide to some of the best street art in Athens.

Reactions: Vangelis
I agree, the street art is something that gives Athens so much character. This is a great resource!

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.

Public Transportation System in Athens

Can anyone give me some advice on the public transportation system in Athens, Greece?

I will be staying in Piraeus but will need to get around. I'll want to visit Acropolis area, as well as several other of the Athens neighborhoods.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back