1 - 2 of 2 Posts

cubrinj

I had thought I never made melamakarona but then when I got the recipe from a friend, it looks exactly like my finikia recipe.

Are they basically the same thing with a different name?

Here is my Finikia recipe and aside from some minor differences, it looks the same as my friend's Melamakarona recipe.

- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup brandy or cognac
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup honey

1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Add the vegetable oil, orange juice, brandy, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Use a hand mixer or a whisk to combine the ingredients until a thick dough forms.
3. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Form the dough into small balls (around 1-2 inches in diameter) and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
6. While the cookies are baking, prepare the honey syrup. In a saucepan, heat the honey over medium heat until it starts to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the chopped walnuts.
8. Dip the baked cookies in the honey syrup while they're still warm, making sure to coat them evenly. Place the coated cookies on a wire rack to cool.

I have learned that they are basically the same thing - but with a different name - and I don't know why! Does anyone here know? This recipe looks great!

What is different about Greek cuisine in the US?

I am a Greek American living in the Boston area, and I have also been to Greece a lot.

I have noticed that there are some differences between here and Greece in terms of cuisine. I can't put my finger on it, but I know that things are just different.

Does anyone have any insights as to why? I feel like a large part is the freshness of all the ingredients. But I think the recipes are different, too.

Any advice on how I can recreate some of that magic here?

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Menu - Advice on What to Serve at a Greek Dinner Party

I'm planning to host a Greek-themed dinner party and could use some advice on what dishes to serve. I want to create an authentic experience for my guests and ensure they get a true taste of Greek cuisine.

Here are a few ideas I have in mind:
  • Tzatziki
  • Dolmades
  • Spanakopita
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek Salad
  • Lemon Potatoes
Should I add or subtract anything?

Tips on How to Make Greek Olive Bread

I'm a big fan of Mediterranean cuisine and lately, I've been craving some authentic Greek olive bread. I've tried a couple of recipes, but I still feel there's something missing to make it just right.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or secret ingredients that can elevate my Greek olive bread? I'm especially interested in:
  • Types of olives that work best
  • Tips for getting the perfect crust
  • Any herbs or spices that add authentic flavor
  • Baking techniques that ensure a soft, flavorful inside
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.

Good Greek Dips and Spreads for Entertaining

I like to entertain and I like to have some good recipes on hand to throw together at the last minute. Did I miss anything? Here's what I have:
  • Tzatziki
  • Hummus
  • Melitzanosalata
  • Taramosalata
  • Fava
I eat tapenade (olive spread) a lot in Greece, but I don't have a good recipe...
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back