1 - 16 of 16 Posts

ssherie_

What are some Greek cultural traditions that are straight out of Italy! Una faccia una razza!

Reactions: Hash
That is a great question!! I have never heard of any Greek traditions that have originated from Italy. If anyone else know of any, please chime in 🇬🇷 🇮🇹

The Italians are the Chinese of Europe, they have copied everything from the Greeks!

I'm sure there are, especially in Kerkyra (it was a part of Italy) and Syros (the religion on this island is Catholic), but I don't know what they are.

The Italians even copied pizza from the Greeks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830-173009_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830-173009_Samsung Internet.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 3
The Italians are the Chinese of Europe, they have copied everything from the Greeks!
The Italians... Wait : Italy was originally part of the Proto-Greek Ekoumene, occupied by P-Gr. migrants, where they evolved into the Etruscans, the Latins, the Apulians, etc.(with their respective language and culture). Then, in the first millennium B.C., the Aegean/Helladic Greeks [Hellenes] colonised southern Italy ["Magna Graecia"] and Sicily. These should be called Italic Greeks; they themselves coined the term Oyitalia or Italia -- which was later applied to the whole peninsula, The Italians are mainly Greeks to begin with and produced more original culture than they copied (within the Ekoumene), etc. etc.

Last edited:
The Italians... Wait : Italy was originally part of the Proto-Greek Ekoumene, occupied by P-Gr. migrants, where they evolved into the Etruscans, the Latins, the Apulians, etc.(with their respective language and culture). Then, in the first millennium B.C., the Aegean/Helladic Greeks [Hellenes] colonised southern Italy ["Magna Graecia"] and Sicily. These should be called Italic Greeks; they themselves coined the term Oyitalia or Italia -- which was later applied to the whole peninsula, The Italians are mainly Greeks to begin with and produced more original culture than they copied (within the Ekoumene), etc. etc.
We are so similar! I'm sure we've both shared so many aspects of each others cultures

We are so similar! I'm sure we've both shared so many aspects of each others cultures
What a left wing response. You must be Italian

Reactions: amygdalE
Indeed ethnically I am Italian or, specifically Magno-Gracian. My ancestral city is Thoyrioi [in Calabria], which was founded after the flooding and destruction of Sybaris. After Thoyrioi suffered the same fate, Pericles sent Hellenes to repopulate it. Among them were the sophist Protagoras and Herodotos, who noticed a sanctuary to Athena by the nearby river Krathis -- hence "Athena Krathia". Then came Hannibal (ca, 204 B/C.) The refugees founded a town near the source of the Krathis: my native town.

I wished to add that my username (with an heta at the end) is a transposition of my real last name. It is an occupational name and is rather frequent in my native town and environs. Remember: the wealth of Sybaris etc. was based on the almond business and trade, made possible by the huge almond plantation near Sybaris, which today is called Amendolara. [I am living in New York, without almonds.]

Indeed ethnically I am Italian or, specifically Magno-Gracian. My ancestral city is Thoyrioi [in Calabria], which was founded after the flooding and destruction of Sybaris. After Thoyrioi suffered the same fate, Pericles sent Hellenes to repopulate it. Among them were the sophist Protagoras and Herodotos, who noticed a sanctuary to Athena by the nearby river Krathis -- hence "Athena Krathia". Then came Hannibal (ca, 204 B/C.) The refugees founded a town near the source of the Krathis: my native town.
This is so interesting...I didn't know about this ethnic group or this story. So is this group still considered Italian or are they basically Greek at this point?

This is so interesting...I didn't know about this ethnic group or this story. So is this group still considered Italian or are they basically Greek at this point?
There are only 2 types of people in this world Greeks and people who want to be Greeks

In my mind, if they feel Greek and they act Greek then they are Greek. Here is a song from Southern Italy called "Kalinitta (καληνύχτα - goodnight). The dialect is a bit different, but you can clearly hear that they are singing in Greek.

Matters are rather complex here. Simple answers: Since the political unification of Italy in 1861, Calabria (the region of the ancient "Italiotai") has been part of Italy and the inhabitants see themselves as Italians. However, some individuals know their history and cherish their Greek heritage. The language of my native town, which I have been probing for some ten years (from memory, not from non-existing literature) has various lexical layers: exclusively Greek words like Cullura, Aioste [aiosthe]; Latin words, which started to be adopted, "borrowed", from the Romans who came to chase Hannibal off of Italy; and Italian, especially the vocabulary of modern science and technology. We have also [vanishing] ancient customs, such as leaving a table set for the dead, on halloween (the eve of all saints' day), which goes back to Hekate's Suppers left at the three-way roads. Etc. // Meanwhile, Italy has some great Greek-Italians, like the poet Foscolo and the Greek-Sicilian metaphysical painter Giorgio de Chririco, and, at least in my days, the teaching of classical Greek in all public schools, thanks to the Gr-Sic. philosopher Giovanni Gentile. // Thank you for posting the video... and I agree with what you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: dubai_suzie
Matters are rather complex here. Simple answers: Since the political unification of Italy in 1861, Calabria (the region of the ancient "Italiotai") has been part of Italy and the inhabitants see themselves as Italians. However, some individuals know their history and cherish their Greek heritage. The language of my native town, which I have been probing for some ten years (from memory, not from non-existing literature) has various lexical layers: exclusively Greek words like Cullura, Aioste [aiosthe]; Latin words, which started to be adopted, "borrowed", from the Romans who came to chase Hannibal off of Italy; and Italian, especially the vocabulary of modern science and technology. We have also [vanishing] ancient customs, such as leaving a table set for the dead, on halloween (the eve of all saints' day), which goes back to Hekate's Suppers left at the three-way roads. Etc. // Meanwhile, Italy has some great Greek-Italians, like the poet Foscolo and the Greek-Sicilian metaphysical painter Giorgio de Chririco, and, at least in my days, the teaching of classical Greek in all public schools, thanks to the Gr-Sic. philosopher Giovanni Gentile. // Thank you for posting the video... and I agree with what you said.
I wish these traditions weren't vanishing!! They sound so cool :)

I am not sure! It is hard to tell where the traditions originated sometimes. I wonder if something like Carnivale was borrowed from Italy, and maybe some of the foods?

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back