1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kcixcy

My Greek husband LOVES history and we’re putting together an itinerary for our trip to Athens, any tips? He loves ancient history and modern history, so it doesn’t need to be about mythology and architecture (I know Athens is really popular for that).

Great question! Greece (and Athens) has so much history everywhere you look!

Here are a few places to consider in the Athens area (in no particular order):
- Acropolis/Parthenon
- Tourkovounia
- Athens War Museum
- Panathenaic Stadium
- Aristotle’s Lyceum

Hope this helps and hope you have a great time in Athens!

koukaki-neighborhood-athens-720x480.jpeg

For someone that loves history, Athens is the place to investigate the beginnings on which our modern society is based. Here are a few "must-visit" places:

Acropolis: goes without saying
Acropolis Museum: this museum is modern and innovative. It has a wide range of artefacts from the acropolis and surrounds and the best part is that there are archaeologists on the floor so you have direct access to people that really know their stuff.
Agora (both Greek and Roman): This was the hub of Athenian society.
Pnyx: the birthplace of democracy.
Socrates prison: you can see where the dude resided. This is on Philopapou hill where Pnyx is so you can just do a tour to check them both out.
National Archaeological Museum: artefacts from 4,000 BCE onwards. Even has Egyptian artefacts.
Benaki Museum: has more recent history from Byzantine to more modern history.

Just walk around Athens and you will come across archaeological sites that are right in the middle of the street. For example, the Pnyx and Socrates prison aren't behind a fence that you have to pay to get in. Others are Hadrian's Arch, Monument of Lysicrates, the Roman Baths on Leoforos Vasilisis Amalias and so much more!

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: francescool
Your first spot on the list has to be the acropolis and the acropolis museum. The new museum is stunning, it’s so modern and has a super cool cafe on the rooftop.

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Athens Nightlife Questions

I'm currently planning a trip to Athens, Greece, and I've heard so much about the nightlife there. I know that there is great nightlife here, I've just never done it.

Given the vast array of options, I'm reaching out to this community for personal recommendations and insights. What are your favorite nightlife spots in Athens? I'm interested in hearing about places that offer unique experiences, whether it's a bar, club, etc.

If you've had an unforgettable night out in Athens, please share:
  • Name of the place
  • What makes it stand out (music, drinks, crowd, view, etc.)
  • Any tips for newcomers (like dress code)
Also, if there are any must-know cultural etiquettes or tips for enjoying Athens' nightlife responsibly, I'd appreciate learning about those as well.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!

Should you come to Athens in the winter?

I have never been to Greece in winter and I was considering it. I found this video - it was very informative! Thought I'd share:

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back