1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mastichas09

I am fascinated by the Byzantine Empire and in particular, the churches that are done in the Byzantine style. I want to visit some while I am in Greece.

I will be flying into Athens, but I will go anywhere in Greece - I am thinking to try to visit at least on or two of them during my time I the country. I will be there about three weeks.

Are there any near Athens I can visit? What about Thessaloniki? Thanks!

Reactions: k_tsoukalas

Advice for Different Dishes to Try in Greece?

I’m really excited about exploring the local cuisine. I’ve heard so much about how delicious and diverse Greek food is, and I want to make sure I don’t miss out on any must-try dishes.

Could you please share your recommendations for Greek dishes that I should definitely try while I’m there? I’m particularly interested in both well-known classics and any regional specialties that might be a bit off the beaten path. Some questions:
  • What are the absolute must-tries that define Greek cuisine?
  • Are there any dishes specific to certain regions in Greece that I shouldn’t miss?
  • I love street food! Any Greek street food recommendations?
  • What sweet treats should I indulge in?
Also, if you have any restaurant or taverna recommendations where I can experience these dishes authentically, that would be amazing!

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

Tips for Eco Friendly Travel Tips for Greece

I’m planning a trip to Greece and really want to make it as eco-friendly as possible. I’m interested in sustainable travel practices, from transportation to accommodation and activities. I’d love some advice on the following:
  1. Eco-Friendly Transportation: Best ways to get around Greece with minimal environmental impact. Are there any green transportation options between the islands?
  2. Sustainable Accommodation: Recommendations for eco-friendly hotels or guesthouses, particularly in Athens, Crete, and Santorini.
  3. Green Activities: Suggestions for activities that have a low environmental footprint. Are there any eco-tours or volunteer opportunities focused on conservation?
  4. Local Tips: Any advice on supporting local businesses and reducing waste while traveling in Greece.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Best places in Greece to see the Venetian influences?

I am interested in the Venetian influences that are interwoven into certain parts of the country. From the architecture to the local customs, I understand that the reach of the Venetian Republic left a notable mark that can still be felt today.

I'm in the midst of planning an itinerary focused on exploring these influences and I’d love to hear from you about the must-visit spots where one can best experience the essence of the Venetian presence in Greece.

Do any of you have recommendations for specific towns, buildings, ruins, or even local festivities that embody this cultural blend? Any hidden gems or lesser-known locations that surprised you with their Venetian charm?

Of course, I expect Crete, with its famed Venetian fortresses and the romantic old town of Chania, to be part of this list. But I'm certain there is a wealth of places, perhaps on other islands or on the mainland, which equally showcase this unique period of history. I also know there are influences in Corfu. Is there anywhere else?

Favorite Smaller Islands to Visit on Greece

I'm planning a trip to Greece later this year and would love some advice. While I've heard a lot about the popular islands like Santorini and Mykonos, I'm more interested in exploring some of the smaller, lesser-known islands.

Do you have any recommendations for charming, smaller islands to visit in Greece? I'm looking for those hidden gems that offer beautiful scenery, unique culture, and a relaxing atmosphere without the massive tourist crowds.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back