1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Vangelis

Hi fellow travellers, I have not been able to get back to Greece for a few years due to COVID. The Australian borders are still closed but I'm hoping I will be able to travel back to Greece in 2022 for the summer. In preparation, I have fully vaccinated and have received my COVID-19 Certificate. The certificate has my name, date of birth, document number, healthcare identification number and date of my vaccinations, what type of vaccination I had (AstraZeneca for me) and a statement that I have had the full course of vaccination doses (all in english). However, I see on the news that Greeks have a vaccination certificate with a QR code but my certificate doesn't have that.

Does anyone know if my certificate will be valid for travel into Greece and for use at public events and restaurants? Has anyone travelled to Greece with a similar certificate and what was your experience? I am getting a bit anxious about this as I want to travel next year and don't want any issues when I get to Greece. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for your question!

I would recommend that you perhaps ask your local Greek consulate this question.

We have heard there are not any issues with people that are vaccinated traveling from the United States and Canada to Greece, but things do rapidly change, so doubling checking might help.

Thanks again & hope you get back to Greece soon!! 🇬🇷

Just for completion and to let all Australian Greek potential travelers to Greece next year know, our vaccination certificate is compliant with Greece's requirements (thanks to @blopez34 for providing the link to https://www.aia.gr/en/traveler/travellers-info/faq-for-covid19):

Additionally, until 19.08.21, all passengers regardless of nationality must meet one of the following conditions:

• to have completed the vaccination for COVID-19 at least fourteen days (14) before the scheduled arrival and present a vaccination certificate in Greek, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Russian, issued by a public authority in accordance with the relevant legislation. The vaccination certificate must include the name of the person, the type of vaccine given, the number of doses & inoculation dates.

• display a negative molecular test result for COVID-19 (PCR) performed within the last seventy-two (72) hours before the scheduled arrival or a negative Rapid Antigen test result performed up to 48 hours before the scheduled flight. The test result must be issued by a certified diagnostic center in Greek, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Russian and must include the name of the person as registered in the passport.

• To present proof of recovery from Covid-19, supported by test result (PCR or Rapid Antigen test). The certificate of recovery is issued thirty (30) days after the 1st positive diagnosis & is valid up to 180 days there on. The 1st positive diagnosis must originate either from a public authority in accordance with the relevant legislation or from reference laboratories of the country of origin or transit, public or private, provided that they have been certified by the competent national certification of the country. The certificate is issued either in Greek, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Russian & includes the name of the person as registered in the identity card or passport.

• to present their EU digital Covid certificate, issued according to EU requirements in digital or paper form. This should include information regarding vaccination, or the last result of Covid-19 test or proof of recovery from Covid-19 within the accepted time frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomipark
I travelled to Greece this year and no restaurants were asking for QR codes or anything like that. But that's also because we ate almost exclusively outside. One hotel did ask for my vaccination but mine didn't have a QR code either, and they didn't have a problem with that

Reactions: Vangelis

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Greek Islands Food Tour?

I am a foodie and I love to cook. Does anyone know of any food tour situations that I can do in the islands, or maybe island hopping?

I am in the midst of planning an exciting adventure to Greece and am particularly interested in experiencing the country through its cuisine. I've heard that island hopping offers not just stunning views but also a taste of local flavors that differ from island to island.

With so many beautiful islands, from the renowned Santorini to the charming Skopelos, I'm looking for recommendations on food tours or culinary experiences that are part of island hopping packages. Any recommendations you may have would be great!

Tips for Traveling to Greece on a Budget

Traveling to Greece is a dream for many, conjuring images of stunning beaches, ancient ruins, and vibrant Mediterranean culture. However, experiencing the wonders Greece has to offer doesn’t have to break the bank. Let's face it - it can be expensive to get there - especially if you are traveling from outside of Europe and during peak season. Keeping these tips in mind, though, can help you cut costs.

1. Travel During the Off-Peak Season

One of the best ways to save money while traveling to Greece is by going during the off-peak season, which is typically from October to April. Not only will you benefit from lower prices in flights and accommodations, but you'll also escape the heavy tourist crowds, allowing for a more authentic experience of Greece's beauty and culture.

2. Opt for Lesser-Known Destinations

While Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini are must-visit destinations, Greece is filled with hidden gems that are often overlooked. Consider visiting the Peloponnese region, Meteora, or even the northern part of the country, like Thessaloniki and the Chalkidiki Peninsula. These areas offer breathtaking views, historical sites, and genuine interactions with local culture at a fraction of the cost.

3. Use Public Transportation

Greece’s public transportation system is both efficient and affordable. Ferries can take you between islands at a good rate, especially if you book in advance. On land, buses and trains connect major cities and regions. Utilizing these options instead of renting a car or taking flights can significantly reduce your travel costs.

4. Savor Local Eats

Another great way to save while indulging in the richness of Greek culture is through its cuisine. Avoid tourist traps and opt for where the locals eat. Tavernas and street food vendors offer delicious and authentic Greek food for much less than restaurants in high-traffic tourist areas. Don’t skip on trying the gyros, souvlaki, and the myriad of seafood options.

5. Stay in Budget Accommodations

Greece offers a wide array of budget-friendly accommodations, ranging from hostels to budget hotels and Airbnb listings. Booking in advance can secure you a better deal, especially if traveling during the peak season. Consider staying in a location slightly off the beaten path; you might discover a quaint neighborhood or a breathtaking beach that’s not swarmed by tourists.

Traveling to Greece on a budget is more than feasible with a bit of planning and some savvy travel hacks. By following these tips, you can immerse yourself in the rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality Greece is renowned for, all while keeping your expenses in check. Remember, the essence of travel is not in how much you spend, but in the experiences you gather and the memories you create.

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back