1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.

Reactions: Jawge and Laura48
Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.
I love it, too. My experience has been that they often serve Raki during the meal, too, but they'll bring out watermelon or some other fruit afterwards. I went to an outdoor cafe for cocktails and they brought over loukoumades with it. At one place, I wanted a drink but didn't order food and they brought over fries with it. Seems the Cretans don't want anyone to drink without food!

List of foods to try on Crete

Crete is one of my favorite islands - and I plan to visit again in a few months. I thought I would make a list of some of the foods I definitely plan to eat when there.

The of you who know about the island, do you have anything to add?

• Dakos
  • Horta
  • Cretan "pitakia" (in the turnover dough)
  • Horiatiki
  • Pizza (sounds silly, but I love eating Pizza on Crete LOL)

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

Priorities for exploring Chania's old town?

I’m planning a trip to the enchanting old town of Chania and I’ve heard so much about its rich history and vibrant culture. With so many intriguing options, I find myself grappling with where to begin and how to prioritize my time effectively.

For those who have experience of Chania—what would you say should be at the top of my list?

My interests range broadly, from historical landmarks, museums, and art galleries, to culinary delights and local crafts. I’m particularly fascinated by the blend of architectural styles and cultural influences evident in Chania.

Thanks in advance!

chania-crete.jpg

Best Beaches with Services on Crete

It's tough for my family to visit beaches that don't have services - like a restaurant, bathrooms, because we are traveling with multiple generations and usually spend the whole day.

Do the following beaches have services? I will be going with my family end of June next year:

- Elafonissi
- Balos
- Matala
- Stalis

I am having a hard time visualizing based on descriptions I am finding online.

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back