1 - 3 of 3 Posts

efhernandez_

Many people don't know that Rhodes' Italian influence is pretty recent and not from Roman times. The last time Italians set foot in Rhodes was in 1943 after World War 1. It was only until 1947 that Greek became a part of the modern Greek state. Italians really contributed to the development of the island and to the culture and architecture. This is one of the reasons why Rhodes is so unique and has a pretty different vibe than some of the other islands.

" the last time Italians set foot in rhodes was in 1943 after World War 1 "
wrong. The italians were on Rhodes during the 2nd world war.

" the last time Italians set foot in rhodes was in 1943 after World War 1 "
wrong. The italians were on Rhodes during the 2nd world war.
1943 IS during the Second World War so I am not sure if there was an error in the person's original post? WWII was from 1939 - 1945.

Web cameras on Rhodes

There are several cameras. go to youtube.com
search for DHMOS RODOY

Nightlife in Rhodes - Faliraki

I have some friends who went to Rhodes last year and they said they observed that Faliraki has some good nightlife. Is this true?

Could anyone share some insider tips or personal experiences about the best spots to enjoy the evening?

Specifically, I’m looking for:
  • Clubs that have a great atmosphere and awesome music.
  • Bars or pubs where I can meet new people and have some good conversation.
  • Any places known for live music or unique entertainment.
I will only be there for a few days and I might only have a night to spend doing that kind of thing before I move on to another part of Greece. Trying to see a lot this time.

rhodes-greece.jpg

Best Historical Landmarks to See in Rhodes

I am working on planning a trip to Rhodes and am trying to prioritize which ones I should see. I've come up with a list. Did I miss anything? Realistically, I might only have time to see about 5 places, but I want more on the list than I can see so I can decide what seems the most interesting to me.

Here's what I have:
  1. Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes
  2. Rhodes Old Town Walls
  3. Acropolis of Lindos
  4. Street of the Knights
  5. Archaeological Museum of Rhodes
  6. Castle of Monolithos
  7. Kallithea Springs
  8. Ancient Kamiros
  9. Ancient Ialysos
  10. Ancient Kameiros

Traveling with a history buff to Rhodes

I am traveling with someone who lives history to Rhodes. Specifically, Medieval history (to the crusades).

I understand that Rhodes was a main player in this time period? Here are a few things on my list to visit. Did I miss anything?
  1. The Palace of the Grand Master: Standing majestically in the heart of Rhodes Old Town, this palace is one of the most striking reminders of the Knights' presence. It's said to be restored in the 20th century. I'm particularly interested in its history and the exhibitions hosted inside.
  2. Street of the Knights (Ippoton Street): Possibly one of the best-preserved medieval streets in the world. Walking down this street, lined with the inns once used by knights of different languages and origins, seems like a walk back in time. Any specific inns or details I should look out for?
  3. The Hospital of the Knights: Now housing the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes, it seems like a place rich in history. I'm curious about the exhibitions there and any pieces that are a must-see.
  4. The Fortifications: The walls and gates around Rhodes Old Town are a testament to the knights' engineering prowess. Is there a particular section or gate that offers a unique perspective or history?
  5. Rodini Park: A bit off the beaten path in terms of knightly history, but I've read that it's one of the world's oldest parks and was appreciated even during the era of the knights. Any historical remnants here connected to the knights?

Holiday season coming to a close in Greece & the islands

Soon tavernas/bars & shops will be closing until 2024.By mid november it will be very quiet.
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back