1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mj_toronto8

I like to make simple desserts. I do make a Greek dessert with yogurt (which I eat for a simple dessert and also sometimes for breakfast).

What else can I do for a simple dessert using Greek yogurt? I am looking for things that are traditionally considered Greek. I have seen cheesecake recipes that use yogurt but I am not sure that is "Greek".

I make a cake sometimes with yogurt but I got it in a French cookbook. Not sure it's Greek. Ingredients:
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Flavoring of choice (cocoa powder for chocolate, grated lemon or orange peel, etc)

Ancient Greek recipes still in the cuisine today?

I'm reaching out to you guys to ask about ancient Greek recipes that have stood the test of time and are still part of modern Greek food. Are there specific dishes, ingredients, or cooking methods that have remained unchanged? Or perhaps, are there modern adaptations of ancient recipes that highlight the continuity and evolution of Greek culinary practices?

Understanding the continuity and evolution of these recipes could offer is a fascinating thing. I think I heard that some versions of baklava may have existed in Ancient Greece, as well as some of the dishes that involve lentils, that kind of thing.

Learning about Greek honey

As part of my Lenten journey, I am replacing sugar with honey whenever I can. Sugar is overdone and feels like an indulgence. I read somewhere that honey is acceptable even during strict fasts, so I thought I'd get to know it a bit more.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on:

Traditional Greek Dishes Featuring Honey: Which are the standout dishes where honey plays a pivotal role?
I use honey with Greek yogurt and a bunch of desserts. Having desserts doesn't feel right during Lent, but the yogurt with honey sounds good?

Pairing Honey with Other Ingredients: Are there specific ingredients or types of honey that best complement certain Greek foods?
I love it with lemon in tea, but that's all I can think of.

Cooking Tips with Honey: Any tips on cooking with honey? Perhaps, how to balance its sweetness or how to choose the right honey for savory dishes versus desserts?
Does it lose its sweetness if it gets too hot? I tried to use it instead of sugar the other day in something I was making (bread) and I couldn't taste the honey.

Personal Favorite Recipes: Do you have any personal honey-infused recipes passed down or discovered that you’re willing to share?

greek-honey.jpg

What do you eat for breakfast?

I have been wondering what traditional Greeks eat for breakfast. I am a bit Americanized in my habits, but I noticed I am constantly not very hungry in the morning.

From what I've gathered, a traditional Greek breakfast might not be as globally recognized as the full English breakfast or the American pancakes and bacon, but it's definitely a feast worth exploring. I'm curious, does anyone here know what a traditional Greek breakfast consists of?

From the initial research, it seems that fresh ingredients play a big role, with items like Greek yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, and nuts being quite common. There's also mention of various types of bread and pastries, such as the famous Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tyropita (cheese pie). However, I believe there's more to discover and learn from personal experiences or detailed insights.

Do any of you have Greek heritage or have been to Greece and experienced a traditional Greek breakfast firsthand?

Making Greek lemon potatoes?

I just had lemon potatoes at a restaurant and although I know how to cook Greek food, somehow I have never made this!

I took my best guess (I didn't look up a recipe) and it didn't taste great. Basically, I made a Ladolemono, drizzled it on the potatoes, and roasted them.

They never really got crispy - so my next thought is that I put too much of the ladolemono.

So the next time I made them, I put less of the ladolemono. I couldn't really taste the lemon.

Next, I am going to look up a recipe, but meanwhile I am curious what you guys do to make these.

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back