1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Christopher

My Grandfather is from this island. Does anyone know anything about it? I’d like to visit there.

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance

Itinerary for self-planned yacht trip through the Greek islands

I am working on planning a yacht trip through Greece. I live it because I am in total control of the itinerary and what goes on, unlike booking a cruise or something. There's enough of us in the group to make this a super affordable trip.

I am developing am itinerary - thought I'd run it by you:

1. Athens to Mykonos: Begin in the historic port of Athens and make your way to the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos. Dock at Agios Ioannis beach and take a stroll through Little Venice.
  2. Mykonos to Naxos: Naxos awaits, with its marble gateway to nowhere and beautiful beaches. Try the local kitron liqueur for a true taste of the island.
  3. Santorini: Sail to the iconic island of Santorini, where the sunset from Oia is second to none. Enjoy a swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and taste some of the best wines in Greece.
  4. Ios to Folegandros: Keep the vibes high in Ios known for its lively atmosphere, then find tranquility in Folegandros, where the untouched Mediterranean prevails.
  5. Return to Athens: Wrap up your adventure with a pitstop in Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. Its charm lies in its austere yet handsome neoclassical buildings and the stunning Aegean views.

What do you think? Anything to add or subtract? I have about 10 days.

yacht-greece.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back