1 - 10 of 10 Posts

mj_toronto8

What are your favorite places to go for day trips in Athens?

I am a huge fan of visiting Delphi when visiting the Athens area, so much magical history!

Delphi-720x493.jpeg

Besides Delphi, you can also visit the Temple of Poseidon in Sounion (you can take a taxi - it's about 30 minutes to an hour away, depending on where in Athens you are). You can also visit one of the small, nearby islands as a day trip - like Hydra. You would take a tour or ferry from Piraeus, which is close to Athens.

Attachments

• Hyrda.jpg
    Hyrda.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: voula_slat
What are your favorite places to go for day trips in Athens?
I highly recommend a day's boat trip to Aegina, Poros and Hydra. You can book that at travel agents in Athens. Or, you can take the Proastiakos train (adjacent to the Metro at Larissa station) and this way you can visit a seaside town of west Attica, such as Nea Peramos with its beautiful marina and seafront with cafes/restaurants. If visiting Nea Peramos by car you can also visit the nearby tiny town of Pahi with its picturesque fish tavernas and the church on the hill with the breathtaking seaviews. Last, with the Proastiakos train you can go further towards Corinth and visit the beautiful seaside town of Kiato. Check out times and fees beforehand if you use the train as well as local taxi company numbers to pick you up from the train station. Failing that, you may have to walk for about 15-20 minutes from the train station to the coast. Hope this helps!

Hydra is the best day trip i’ve taken! I love it!

Reactions: redsoxdw_
Just Try to visit Argolis one day tour. The best way is to rent a car Visit Mycenae, Nafplio, Tolo for swimming and the ancient Theater of Epidaurus.
Another your is to visit the ancient Theater and also Porto Heli and Ermioni.

Just Try to visit Argolis one day tour. The best way is to rent a car Visit Mycenae, Nafplio, Tolo for swimming and the ancient Theater of Epidaurus.
Another your is to visit the ancient Theater and also Porto Heli and Ermioni.
Porto heli is amazing! It has some of the best resorts on the mainland

There are several trips from Athens.
There are daily trips to Delphi, Sounio, Argolis (that includes Epidaurus and Mycenae), 2 day trips to Meteora and Delphi, Hydra - Poros - Aegina day cruise, Angistri - Moni - Aegina Day Cruise

Reactions: acamp7 and paharo45
There are several trips from Athens.
There are daily trips to Delphi, Sounio, Argolis (that includes Epidaurus and Mycenae), 2 day trips to Meteora and Delphi, Hydra - Poros - Aegina day cruise, Angistri - Moni - Aegina Day Cruise
Going to Meteora was one of the best experiences I had while visiting Greece. The walk up was so exhausting but so worth it to see something so beautiful. I really recommend it to everyone visiting the mainland and wanting to learn more about Greek culture and experience nature.

As suggested by an earlier poster, Nafplio, just a two-hour drive from Athens, is a great choice for an one day trip. There one can see neoclassical buildings, several Venetian fortresses and enjoy a coffee in the main square or in one of the many cafeterias by the sea.

Athens airport question...

There's a group of us going to Athens and our flights get in the same day, but at different times.

Is there an easy spot to wait for the rest of our group outside of security, like a cafe or restaurant, or even an area with chairs to sit... I have only been to this airport once, and I don't remember any details about what happens after security.

Visiting the Cycladic Museum

Though I will be in Mykonos for a while when I come to Greece (soon!) I will have some time in Athens.

I will be tied up with wedding festivities on Mykonos, but I will have some time. So, I want to learn about the history and culture of the island. I know there has to be more to it there than all the parties and the beach scene.

I plan to visit the Cycladic Museum in Athens to get ready. Is there anything I should keep in mind while I explore the museum?

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Should you come to Athens in the winter?

I have never been to Greece in winter and I was considering it. I found this video - it was very informative! Thought I'd share:

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back