1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dpappas87

I have realized that one of the great things about the food in Greece is that it is ultra fresh. Vegetables and fruits are eaten after they are picked. Seafood is freshly caught, that kind of thing.

I think it is so much better to eat this way, but unfortunately it's hard to do outside of Greece. Do you guys gave any tips for how to capture that magic while not in Greece?

One way I try to recreate it is to visit farmer's markets when I see them! An even better choice for me, though, is to grow some of my own food. In general I try to get the freshest food possible even if I need to go out of my way to get.

That's a really good idea! If I make my food supply a lot more local, especially for produce, I bet that will help.

Greek Vegetable Casserole Recipe (Briam)

Now that it is lent, I will be making this a lot. I bring it to lenten potlucks at my church and I make it all the time at home. Here's a recipe I use - I do change up the vegetables sometimes depending on what I can find. I might omit eggplant, for example, and I would replace it with two additional zucchini.

Ingredients:​

• 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
  • 2 eggplants, sliced
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 bell pepper (any color), sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced or 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp oregano, dried
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly oil a large baking dish.
  2. Prepare the vegetables: Slice the zucchinis, eggplants, potatoes, onions, and bell peppers into even pieces. If using fresh tomatoes, slice them as well; otherwise, have your can of diced tomatoes ready.
  3. Layer the vegetables in the dish: Start with a layer of potatoes at the bottom, followed by eggplants, zucchinis, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Sprinkle each layer with minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Repeat the layering process until all the vegetables are used.
  4. Season and oil: Once all the vegetables are layered, drizzle them with olive oil and add a final sprinkle of salt, pepper, and dried oregano. For a touch of freshness, add the chopped parsley over the top.
  5. Bake: Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized on the edges.

Planning a "Greek" Garden - Tips?

Nothing tastes better than vegetables, fruits, herbs, et cetera that have come straight from the earth to the plate. The only way to really have full control is to grow a lot of food on my own. I am sure this is one of the reasons why food tastes so good in Greece.

It's time to start planning my garden because before I know it, I will need to start planting. And, I might want to start some things from seed. I know realistically I won't be able to grow 100% of my produce, but I would at least like to contribute.

What should I plant?

Priority are tomatoes. I would also like to grow some lettuce and other things. Bell peppers. For herbs, oregano, basil, dill, parsley, mint. Maybe cucumbers and squash? Was thinking maybe to grow strawberries and some other fruits - but fruit seems a lot tricker.

What do you guys think?

Food at Greek Weddings?

When it comes to planning a Greek wedding, what Greek food is traditional to serve? I am helping my friend play her wedding and want to gather information.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on the traditional Greek foods served at weddings? I'm curious about dishes that are must-haves on the big day, any symbolic meanings behind certain foods, and how the menu reflects Greek culture and traditions.

I remember at my cousin's wedding, they had kourabedies and some sort of traditional Cretan rice pilaf served at weddings (they're Cretan, but the wedding was in the US).

Strict Lenten Fast Greek Salad

I have to prepare a salad for a lenten meal at church. Most people aren't super picky about it, as long as there are vegetables present.

Last time I prepared a salad, someone saw there was oil in the dressing and wouldn't touch the salad! So, I looked it up - and oil isn't allowed during lent for a strict fast. I had no idea.

How do I compose a salad for a crowd that caters to the strict fast?

I am thinking to make the salad and just use vegetables, nothing else.

Then, I can offer a regular dressing choice, and then also maybe just lemon wedges or some vinegar for the stricter fasters? Do you guys think that would work?

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back