1 - 3 of 3 Posts

d_kakavouli

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.

Reactions: Voula
I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.
Hi, there! I have a Lenten Halva recipe that's really simple to make! You can check out the recipe here. Let me know what you think!

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Recipe looks pretty good to me - thanks for sharing! Do you know if you can use ground sesame seeds (texture of flour)? I know the ones that use tahini - the proportions are all different.

Most iconic dishes in Greek cuisine?

I love cooking Greek and I have my favorites and so does my family. We love - spanakopita, avgolemono, souvlaki, keftedes, dolmades, yemista, and I few more. I am curious, which dishes are iconic and you can't live without?

I’d love to hear your recommendations, especially for:
  • Traditional main courses
  • Must-try appetizers
  • Desserts that are quintessentially Greek
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Ordering at a Greek taverna?

'm heading to Greece soon and can't wait to experience an authentic Greek taverna. I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to order and how to make the most of the experience.

Any recommendations on must-try dishes or drinks? Are there any customs or etiquette I should be aware of? I'd love to hear your tips on what to order, how to enjoy the meal, and any local secrets that can make my visit memorable.

Thanks in advance! I want to try to have a traditional experience there.

Favorite Greek Cheeses?

I am fascinated by the variety of delicious cheeses. Of course, I love Feta - but even with Feta cheese there are some differences - even with the imported Feta I can find. When going to the Greek store near me I noticed here are so many cheeses I haven't tried yet (except for maybe at a restaurant, and I didn't rally pay attention when I was there).

I’d love to hear from you all – what’s your favorite Greek cheese variety and why? Whether it’s a cheese you like to eat on its own, use in recipes, or pair with wine, share your thoughts and experiences!

greek-cheese.jpg

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back