1 - 9 of 9 Posts

d_kakavouli

Reactions: dubai_suzie
Here are a few useful calendars I've found
Thanks for sharing! I add the "Greek Holidays" calendar to my google calendar to get reminded of important dates but it doesn't include Saints Days

Reactions: nm1999
About 5 years ago a friend (non Greek) asked me if her granddaughter had a nameday. Her name was Patrice. I explained Patricia is my Anglo name but my Greek name is Paraskevi. Wanting to impress her συμπεθέρη, she asked me if I could let her know when their namedays were. I now have around 40 people on my list. I use namedays.gr ,iconograms, abbamoses.com to source namedays. Wikipedia is a good source for icons. When I cannot find a Greek Orthodox name, I also search Eastern Orthodox church and the Coptic Church. Sometimes I search Catholic saints for names like Xavier and Corona.
Each month I go through my existing namedays and add new names to my list. Abbamoses does not have icons. Some of the names in namedays.gr are a little dodgy. I write about the saint,why they became a Saint and their feast day. Saints can have more than one nameday depending on the Greek Island or province that celebrates the saint. In 2019 i was lucky enough to go to Cappadocia where most of our saints were born, resided, persecuted and became saints. Patricia

Reactions: nm1999
About 5 years ago a friend (non Greek) asked me if her granddaughter had a nameday. Her name was Patrice. I explained Patricia is my Anglo name but my Greek name is Paraskevi. Wanting to impress her συμπεθέρη, she asked me if I could let her know when their namedays were. I now have around 40 people on my list. I use namedays.gr ,iconograms, abbamoses.com to source namedays. Wikipedia is a good source for icons. When I cannot find a Greek Orthodox name, I also search Eastern Orthodox church and the Coptic Church. Sometimes I search Catholic saints for names like Xavier and Corona.
Each month I go through my existing namedays and add new names to my list. Abbamoses does not have icons. Some of the names in namedays.gr are a little dodgy. I write about the saint,why they became a Saint and their feast day. Saints can have more than one nameday depending on the Greek Island or province that celebrates the saint. In 2019 i was lucky enough to go to Cappadocia where most of our saints were born, resided, persecuted and became saints. Patricia
THank you so much for sharing. I love the name Paraskevi, it is my aunts name. I will use these saints day calendars to track everyones name days. It is so hard to keep track these days because there aer so many people to keep track of and these days everyone has more unique names in Greece. Cheers :)

Reactions: Patisqua
Having a name day is really special. I was baptized under a different name (Kaliope) than my birth certification (Katherine) and I actually celebrate both! I don't think there are really any strict rules, it's all about what we are comfortable with and if our parents had a saint in mind when they named us.

Greeks have quite a few beautiful and unusual female names. Now I have started to think about naming my daughter a Greek name. Perhaps it would be unusual enough for my state, and her name would be unique. I was also surprised to hear about the existence of the name calendar for the first time from you. Previously I had only heard of regular calendars. The thing is, I also use one so I don't miss important meetings or events. For example, before Christmas, I need to turn in a large number of reports. So already now I put in my december calendar all the dates when I have to do it. You have children, so maybe you can use a calendar like this so you don't forget about your schedule.

Last edited:
Having a name day is really special. I was baptized under a different name (Kaliope) than my birth certification (Katherine) and I actually celebrate both! I don't think there are really any strict rules, it's all about what we are comfortable with and if our parents had a saint in mind when they named us.
My sister is Kalliope. Our Mum, although born in Australia (my Grandparents migrated in 1922) like most of her classmates could not spread English when she started school. He name Asimina was translated to Mena. So our Mum gave us Anglicised names. Paraskevi (me) became Patricia. Kalliope became Colleen. Very Irish names.

Greeks have quite a few beautiful and unusual female names. Now I have started to think about naming my daughter a Greek name. Perhaps it would be unusual enough for my state, and her name would be unique. I was also surprised to hear about the existence of the name calendar for the first time from you. Previously I had only heard of regular calendars. The thing is, I also use one so I don't miss important meetings or events. For example, before Christmas, I need to turn in a large number of reports. So already now I put in my december calendar all the dates when I have to do it. You have children, so maybe you can use a calendar like this so you don't forget about your schedule.
All Greek Orthodox parishes (in Australia) produce a calendar with Saints nameday. Cost is usually whatever you can afford. I know the Greek Orthodox church in Hawaii has one. I bought one this year.
Female Greek names are beautiful. Kalliope, Paraskevi, Panayiota, Elefteria, Vasiliki, Ourania...... list goes on and on. Most Greek names have namedays. That's at least 3 presents a year.

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Tips for Learning and Teaching Greek

I know how to speak Greek okay, but I am not great at it. I want to brush up on my skills, and I also want to teach some of my family members. I am good enough at it to the learn the basics. I am looking for advice, but I've also compiled some ideas:

1. Spend an extended period of time in Greece

There’s no better way to learn Greek than to immerse yourself in the language and culture of Greece. If you have the opportunity, consider spending an extended time in Greece, studying or working, taking a sabbatical, or just exploring the country. Living in Greece can help you understand the nuances of the language, such as the different accents, dialects, and slang that are used. You’ll also have the chance to practice your Greek with locals, watch Greek TV or films, and read Greek books or newspapers. I would imagine this is the best way to learn fast!

2. Use a language program

If you can’t travel to Greece or you prefer a more structured approach to learning Greek, consider using a language program. There are many language programs available online or in your local area, ranging from self-paced courses to interactive classes. Some popular language programs for Greek include Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, and Pimsleur. From what I understand these are all great options and I can learn at my own pace.

3. Take classes

Taking classes is another excellent way to learn Greek, especially if you prefer face-to-face interaction and feedback. You can find Greek language classes in community colleges, universities, language schools, or private tutors. Taking classes can help you improve your Greek skills, such as listening, speaking, reading, and writing. You’ll have a teacher who can guide you through the learning process, answer your questions, and give you homework or assignments that challenge you. You’ll also have classmates who share your passion for Greek and can practice with you.

4. Find ways to immerse yourself outside of Greece

Even if you can’t go to Greece or attend classes, you can still immerse yourself in Greek in your daily life. One way is to find Greek-speaking communities or events in your area, such as cultural centers, festivals, or meetups. You can also use online resources to connect with Greek speakers, such as language exchange websites, social media groups, or chat apps. Listening to Greek music, watching Greek videos or podcasts, or reading Greek literature can also help you familiarize yourself with the sounds and patterns of the language.

Honestly, I plan to try all 4 - whatever I can do. I think it will all help.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back